× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Netgear Wifi Extender turns off for long periods of time

Mastous
Follower

My Netgear Wifi Extender turns off for long periods of time

My Netgear Wifi extender (PLW1010v2) turns off for the majority of the entire day and there is absolutely nothing that i seem to do that fixes it. I reset my normal router which is a Verizon if that's helps, I turn off both of the Wifi extender items, I reset my computer and nothing works at all. I looked on the mywifiext website and it's the latest version (1.0.0.18 right?). It is very annoying as I have a lot of stuff to do and not a lot of time to do what I need to. Looking for help ASAP.

Message 1 of 2

Re: My Netgear Wifi Extender turns off for long periods of time

@Mastous wrote:

My Netgear Wifi extender (PLW1010v2) turns off for the majority of the entire day and there is absolutely nothing that i seem to do that fixes it.

Is it going into "sleep mode"?

First, can you explain what happens when it "turns off"? Is it invisible to all wifi clients?  Or just to some?

If it is everyone, perhaps the plug is going to sleep. By default, these things have "power saving" mode enabled.This means that it tries to do you a favour by saving energy, but in the process it turns itself off.

You need to get hold of a utility that lets you disable it.

Unfortunately, Netgear abandoned its Powerline app several hardware versions ago, but it can still do a few things. Just grab it from an older plug:

Powerline Universal Utility Version 3.1.0.4

That cannot handle some of the settings that you might want to control. For example, by default, Netgear's Powerline plugs come with power saving enabled and can turn themselves off at inconvenient times.

If you want something to handle that, find the ZyXel Powerline utility.

These messages might point you in the right direction:

Netgear Powerline 1000 - NETGEAR Communities

Solved: Netgear Powerline Utility for Windows - NETGEAR Communities

PL1200 and PLP1200 Powerline Utility / Netgear Gen... - NETGEAR Communities

When it boils down to it, Powerline plugs all seem to use the same basic chips: utilities for one brand will work on other brands. They may see the plugs as "unknown" devices but they will still work.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7