× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR PLW1000-100UKS 1000 Mbps Powerline Ethernet WiFi Homeplug Access Point. Increasing WIFI

AndyMac1
Follower

NETGEAR PLW1000-100UKS 1000 Mbps Powerline Ethernet WiFi Homeplug Access Point. Increasing WIFI

About 18 months ago I purchased a NETGEAR PLW1000-100UKS 1000 Mbps Powerline Ethernet WiFi Homeplug Access Point. This has been brilliant as I have a very old house with thick walls that affects a WIFI signal and we can get good access at both ends of the house. I am now looking for an additional WIFI access port to add to the network in an external home office. I do not seem to be able to source another WIFI access port and I find the options slightly confusing. Can anyone suggest a viable option?

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 2

Re: NETGEAR PLW1000-100UKS 1000 Mbps Powerline Ethernet WiFi Homeplug Access Point. Increasing WIFI

@AndyMac1 wrote:

I am now looking for an additional WIFI access port to add to the network in an external home office. I do not seem to be able to source another WIFI access port and I find the options slightly confusing.

Like most makers, Netgear does not sell single wifi powerline plugs.

You might find something second hand in the usual markets.

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. The only issue is that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.

Remember, you need only one "source" plug connected to the router.

One other thing to consider, in theory you can mix brands but it isn't always easy to get set them up.

You can also use Powerline ethernet to feed a wireless access point. Indeed, that would let you use something much more powerful than the wifi from a Powerline AP. I have an Orb i network with a router in AP mode on a Powerline network.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7