× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need a New Extender for PLW1000

cgfw201
Aspirant

Need a New Extender for PLW1000

I've had a PLW1000 for 3 years and it's been excellent.

Moved to a new house and have a deadspot in the kitchen, so need an extra extender.

Having done some research and asked a few people, I was told to get a TP-Link AV600 as they are supposedly all compatible with one another across brands because of the AV standard, whatever that is.

Anyway, that arrived today and after 10 hours of swearing and speaking to TP link support, it seems there is no way on earth this will ever work with the Netgear setup. 

So I'm sending that back.

What do I need to buy to work with the PLW1000? I know you can't buy individual extenders (which is insane) and the PLW1000 doesn't seem to be for sale any longer. I just want something I can plug in, whack the 'Pair' button and it works. I'm done with faffing around on bizarre websites, apps and depths of the  web like I have been today!

Message 1 of 13

Re: Need a New Extender for PLW1000

@cgfw201 wrote:

Anyway, that arrived today and after 10 hours of swearing and speaking to TP link support, it seems there is no way on earth this will ever work with the Netgear setup. 

You don't say what you did and how it failed, but I have successfully managed to get different brands to work together. It turned out to be easy. I followed the usual instructions:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

@cgfw201 wrote:

What do I need to buy to work with the PLW1000? I know you can't buy individual extenders (which is insane) and the PLW1000 doesn't seem to be for sale any longer.

Indeed, insane.

I assume that you are looking for a Powerline plug with an integrated wireless access point (AP). You don't say where you are, but Amazon UK still has stock:

NETGEAR PowerLINE 1000 + WiFi Ethernet LAN Wi-Fi White 2pc(s) PowerLINE 1000 + WiFi, IEEE 802.11ac,I...

Expensive though.

I'd be tempted to forget about a Powerline AP, never the most capable AP around, and use a plain mains Powerline plug as the Ethernet link to a more powerful extender/access point. I have an Orbi router (in AP mode) at the end of a .link.

Message 2 of 13
cgfw201
Aspirant

The TPLink one just wouldn't sync with the Netgear powerlines. I got all 3 devices (Netgear PLW1000 adapter and extender) + the TPLink extender showing on the TPLink software, changed the SSID and passwords to match, but the extender just refused to give out any wifi signal even though it said it was, and the Ethernet connection was going on for one second then off for one second and was unusable.

I tried various websites and logins (things like 198.162.1.1 and tplinkadmin.net or similar) as per their instructions, none of them resolved it.

I was then walked through the process on the phone with TPlink for an hour, and at the end they decided it was impossible.

What is Powerline AP  that you mention? 

The thing I like about PLW1000 is how simple it was to setup and how well it works. It's so frustrating not to be able to buy a new extender for it!

Message 3 of 13

@cgfw201 wrote:

The TPLink one just wouldn't sync with the Netgear powerlines. I got all 3 devices (Netgear PLW1000 adapter and extender) + the TPLink extender showing on the TPLink software, changed the SSID and passwords to match, but the extender just refused to give out any wifi signal even though it said it was, and the Ethernet connection was going on for one second then off for one second and was unusable.

I don't follow that.There's a whole load of missing detail in there, including the TPLink model.

First move is to get the wired ethernet bit to work. Worry about the wifi when you have confirned that.

@cgfw201 wrote:

What is Powerline AP  that you mention? 

The PLW1000 is Powerline AP, a Powerline plug with an integrated wifi source, the AP bit.

Message 4 of 13
cgfw201
Aspirant

It was an AV600 TPLink device.

So there's no current Netgear AP model? 

Message 5 of 13

@cgfw201 wrote:

It was an AV600 TPLink device.

That doesn't help. AV600 is a speed standard, not a model number.

@cgfw201 wrote:

So there's no current Netgear AP model? 

Amazon still has the PLW1000 and PLPW1000.

Search for ASIN B01AUPNE1G

and

ASIN B01N5AT8DC

Message 6 of 13
cgfw201
Aspirant

It was this - https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220-kit/

That item isn't showing as available on amazon UK. It sends a link to the Netgear store, where that item does not exist. Do you have a link?

Message 7 of 13
cgfw201
Aspirant

I've come to the conclusion the PLW1000 is no longer available in the UK. I've tried every single Authorized Dealer listed on the Netgear website.

The only one I have found is a 3rd party seller on Amazon, for £217 and with delivery in early May.

Why are Netgear not being honest about the availability of these?

Message 8 of 13

Get a "dumb" Powerline plug and use it to feed something here:

Try putting your needs into the filters on the product pages:

WiFi Range Extenders: Boost Your WiFi Range | NETGEAR

Then use it as an AP fed from the plug.

I have an Orbi RBR40 in AP mode. But I didn't have to pay for it.

Message 9 of 13
cgfw201
Aspirant

I have no idea what any of that means.

Netgear on twitter have just confirmed to me that they no longer make the PLW1000 and have not replaced it. 

I have checked the information and it seems that the PLW1000 is no long being manufactured. Regards, Patrycja Netgear Team

Message 10 of 13

@cgfw201 wrote:

I have no idea what any of that means.

So you either need to do some research –  it isn't rocket science, to use an old cliche  – or find an alternative solution that you do understand.

Message 11 of 13
cgfw201
Aspirant

I've googled "dumb powerline plug" and literally nothing of use comes up.

Is it possible to connect a new powerlines extender plug to my current setup? It seems not.

Message 12 of 13

@cgfw201 wrote:

Is it possible to connect a new powerlines extender plug to my current setup? 

Yes. Dead easy. Read the manual. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7