× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Powerline 1200 pathetically slow

MatthewBertram
Follower

Netgear Powerline 1200 pathetically slow

I'll start off by saying how ridiculous it is that I actually have to create an account to post this on a forum because Netgear's customer service is hilariously bad. This option for receiving support from a community shouldn't even be a last resort, so there's all ready one bad mark for Netgear there.

Now for my issue: I have a Netgear Powerline 1200 that I purchased August 1st from a local STAPLES store and it's been nothing but problems. I was staying at a friend's that i've been using it at for the past couple months and the internet speed has been anemically slow. But, the service is slow in his area so I assumed that it was just his ISP. Now I'm in my new home, and we have CenturyLink Optimum Fiber or whatever they call it, and hardwired to the modem through CAT5 I'm pulling about 840mbps on my laptop. 

However, when I'm using the Powerline 1200 I'm getting NO MORE than 5mbps download and 10mbps upload (according to speedtest.net, google's speed tester) and the speed is ABYSMALLY slow. This is beyond frustrating as I work from home, and my calls often drop as a result of the once again anemically slow internet speeds I'm experiencing. I've tried the reset button on the bottom, using different cords and cables, different outlets, and nothing. Still the same abysmally slow 5mbps download (even though it advertises speeds up to 1200mbps, imagine that) and to say it's infuriating that I spent $90 on this is an understatement. Incredibly dissatisfied with this product and I've gone out of my way to not recommend it to anyone. But, alas, I need it as once again I work in a different room from the router which would require an ethernet cable a few hundred feet and I'm not about to drag ethernet cables all throughout my house. Any help would be appreciated as, once again, this is incredibly infuriating.

Thank you for reading.

Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 2

Re: Netgear Powerline 1200 pathetically slow

Scanning through your message for useful information that might tell us what is going on I found this:

@MatthewBertram wrote:

I need it as once again I work in a different room from the router which would require an ethernet cable a few hundred feet and I'm not about to drag ethernet cables all throughout my house.

This suggests that your property is on the large side.

I have Powerline running about 20 feet from router to a second plug that feeds an Orbi router (in AP) . My Internet service is DSL at ~60 Mbps  and I notice no detectable drop in speed at the AP end. That gives me around the 60 Mbps speeds that I get out of the router.

I also have Powerline plugs for various media devices. Here too, distances are short. 

I would not dream of running Powerline over any great distance. That sort of run implies a complicated electrical circuit with too many opportunities for interference.

I have tested the speeds over longer distances, and on circuits that have fuse boxes and isolators on the way. The speed falls off dramatically,

To see if your mains circuit is the problem, you could try some speed tests with two plugs in the same room. Then play around and see if there is a problem with the mains sockets that are causing you grief.

Like all of these things, the techno.logy might just be too flaky for your circumstances.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7