× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Powerline Utility for Mac OS not working in Mavericks

Kissel
Initiate

Netgear Powerline Utility for Mac OS not working in Mavericks

I recently performed a clean install of OS X Mavericks (10.9) on my Mac and re-installed the Netgear Powerline Utility (v. 3.1.0.3) for Mac. Unfortunately, the utility it is unable to see my XAVB5001 devices. It was working just fine under Mountain Lion (10.8). Under Mavericks, whenever I launch the utility, it asks for my user account password (which it didn't do under Mountain Lion). Any suggestions? Is a software update needed for interoperability with the new Mavericks OS? Thanks.

Message 1 of 23
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Contact support ......
Message 2 of 23
RCAnderson
Aspirant

Calling / Contacting Support does not fix the problem. They were unresponsive - the "Chat" support person never showed up on line. The download point for a new version of the Mac utility disappeared from the support site.

I'm having the same problem with the Mac version that came on the CD in the box: Netgear Powerline Utility D 3.1.0.3. I know it is the software, because I can run the Windows application on a different Windows-based computer and it finds the Powerline device just fine.:mad:
Message 3 of 23
genoso
Aspirant

RCAnderson wrote:
Calling / Contacting Support does not fix the problem. They were unresponsive - the "Chat" support person never showed up on line. The download point for a new version of the Mac utility disappeared from the support site.

I'm having the same problem with the Mac version that came on the CD in the box: Netgear Powerline Utility D 3.1.0.3. I know it is the software, because I can run the Windows application on a different Windows-based computer and it finds the Powerline device just fine.:mad:

It is SW issue, it did not work for me when I installed Mavericks from scratch but it worked when I recovered Powerline Utility configuration from a Time Machine Backup done in Snow Leopard.

It did work as well for an updated Mavericks from Snow Leopard.
Message 4 of 23
cemb
Novice

I also found myself in the same situation. Howver by running PLC as "sudo ./PLC", it works and pulls up all of my devices. Now just to figure out how to get the launcher to run 'sudo' 🙂
Message 5 of 23
mike68
Novice

genoso wrote:
It is SW issue, it did not work for me when I installed Mavericks from scratch but it worked when I recovered Powerline Utility configuration from a Time Machine Backup done in Snow Leopard.

It did work as well for an updated Mavericks from Snow Leopard.

So there's my answer. It's a Mavericks issue. The Powerline Utility (v. 3.1.0.3) is not locating the device (XWN5001) that I just purchased today. I've been online with support and they are a bit unaware of what to do...

Any ideas on a solution for someone in my position where I have never had it installed on a previous OS X? All I want to do is rename my NETGEAR_EXT and secure it with a WPA/WPA2 Personal.
Message 6 of 23
mike68
Novice

cemb wrote:
I also found myself in the same situation. Howver by running PLC as "sudo ./PLC", it works and pulls up all of my devices. Now just to figure out how to get the launcher to run 'sudo' 🙂

Would you mind kindly describing how to run the PLC as "sudo ./PLC"? I'm not familiar with the steps to make that happen and would love to configure the XWN5001 I have.
Message 7 of 23
cemb
Novice

If you are familiar with the MacOSX Terminal utility, launch that and then change directory to the NetGear PowerLine application,

# cd /Applications/NETGEAR\ Powerline\ Utility.app
# cd Contents/MacOS/
# sudo PLC

The above assumes you have installed the NETGEAR application in your Application folder, otherwise substitute the path accordingly.
Message 8 of 23
cemb
Novice

cemb wrote:
If you are familiar with the MacOSX Terminal utility, launch that and then change directory to the NetGear PowerLine application,

# cd /Applications/NETGEAR\ Powerline\ Utility.app
# cd Contents/MacOS/
# sudo PLC

The above assumes you have installed the NETGEAR application in your Application folder, otherwise substitute the path accordingly.

that last instruction line should read,

# sudo ./PLC
Message 9 of 23
flyin
Aspirant

thank you, cemb!!!

works, at least to the point of the devices now showing up in the utility.

I have the powerline 200 music extender... so now I have to see if the remote
USB port is actually working (in my case, using this to have my weather
station console in the kitchen, while allowing my computer to access and
upload weather data from the mac in another room)
Message 10 of 23
flyin
Aspirant

if anyone figures out how to get the powerline music extender USB port to work, would appreciate it.

after running the sudo command above, the device(s) are visible in the netgear powerline utility but the USB port is "unknown" and doesn't show up as a valid USB port

get the following in the terminal window:

Device iPHYRateTX: 123
Device bReadOnly: false
Dev PWD: - not entered -
Dev PWD not enter yet
receive packet:CB_INFO_ACK
dbIndex=0
tDNIAPInfo[0].PLC_MAC_Addr_String=20:E5:2A:5B:69:AE
tDNIAPInfo[0].AP_IP_Address_String=192.168.2.5
tDNIAPInfo[0].AP_DeviceName=XAU2511
tDNIAPInfo[0].AP_Configured_String=Configured
tDNIAPInfo[0].AP_SSID=
tDNIAPInfo[0].AP_SecurityType=N/A
gDevice[-1].IpAddressStr=
Device Model: XAU2511
Device IpAddressStr: 192.168.2.5

****iTotalIPDeviceNum:1****

****iTotalDevNum:2****
Read_SOAP_data
acUSBTypeList=1@Unknown
Message 11 of 23
Thorium232
Initiate

cemb wrote:

Nice. I could fix it for good changing mode and ownership of SocketTool

$ chmod 4555 ~/Library/Application\ Support/PLC/SocketTool
$ sudo chown root ~/Library/Application\ Support/PLC/SocketTool
Message 12 of 23
Kissel
Initiate

Many thanks to cemb and Thorium232! I can check the status of my wireline adapters on Mavericks, finally. 😄
Message 13 of 23
gbbg
Novice

I have an netgear xaub2511 at home. It's connected to a printer on it's USB end and had it working earlier on Mac OS X (wife's mac). But after an upgrade, the powerline utility can't detect the adapter nor the printer.

I tried using some of the command line stuff on Terminal but, nothing happened. Any tips?
Message 14 of 23
cappa
Novice

Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly does one use the terminal to fix this? What exactly should I type? Do I copy each line complete, or leave out the #?
Message 15 of 23
cappa
Novice

I get : "sudo ./PLC command not found"
Message 16 of 23
teamdude
Initiate

How Dos!

Following on from the awesome findings you folks have had... I did the following to get this working for Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.3) with Netgear Powerline Utility version: 1.0.0.13: -

1. Open up "Terminal"
2. cd "/Applications/NETGEAR Powerline Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/"
3. sudo ./NETGEAR\ Powerline\ Utility

Then the application played ball!

Hope this helps. http://forum1.netgear.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
Message 17 of 23
brucie2
Tutor

Thanks Thorium232 your permanent fix worked beautifully. For info the utility now runs on El Capitain using this fix. Shabby of Netgear to not have updated though. Thanks also to cemb for the original fix.

Message 18 of 23
tinkx
Tutor

When I tried this, I got a password prompt, and not sure what to do at this point.

Message 19 of 23
tinkx
Tutor

Sorry, hit the button too soon. I tried the account password, and got this

sudo: ./NETGEAR Powerline Utility: command not found

Message 20 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi Tinkx,

Can you check the article below if this is the problem you are facing with the powerline utility?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24523/~/can-i-use-the-powerline-utility-or-genie-softw...

Message 21 of 23
tinkx
Tutor

Yes, of course, that's the subject of this thread, how people are trying to work around the software which no longer works on the Mac OS versions released over the past couple of years. This article is kind of useless because it says is this your problem, then goes on to say sorry there's no driver and this software is just optional. So, that's super, but if only optional, where's the other ways to do this?
I've been using powerlines for a long time, and they worked fine. It wasn't until I reset the thing for a new internet provider that this whole disaster happened. They work fine, the carry the signal, I just can't secure them, and if you read this thread or look through the forums, there are a lot of people in the same boat with no response from Netgear. I've bee attempting the fix listed here by others because literally every post on the subject including the dozens outside this forum, all point here.

What are the mysterious other *options* for securing the network, if not by using the software intended for the device? Why is Netgear not fixing this bug?
Message 22 of 23
brucie2
Tutor

It's crucial you enter the information exactly as shown in the fix tinkx. Also be sure the utility is located correctly to start with.

Good Luck

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7