× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Xwn 5001 Looses Internet connection

Annode
Aspirant

Netgear Xwn 5001 Looses Internet connection

Hi,

I'm using powerline products with 200 and 500 speed in meinem Network. The xwn5001 creates a wlan with its access point functionality using the Same Network Name as the One from my isp Router.

After some time (sometimes hours sonetimes days) the WLAN from the Access Point is unusable. Either the network cannot be connected any more or the devices in the connected Network cannot open a website.

The Problem is the netgear WLAN as soon as i'm in range of the WLAN from my isp Router, everything works.

Could Young pls advise how to troubleshoot these kind of problems? i cannot find a log functionality in the routers Web interface.

The only thing hhat Works is to power off and in again.

Thanks
Andreas
Message 1 of 4

Re: Netgear Xwn 5001 Looses Internet connection

@Annode wrote:
Hi,

The xwn5001 creates a wlan with its access point functionality using the Same Network Name as the One from my isp Router.

Does this mean that you have two wifi sources with the same SSID?

What do the lights on the XWN5001 show when you lose connection? Is there still a link to the "host" plug?

Message 2 of 4
Annode
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

yes that's correct both devices (the router from my isp and the netgear xwn 5001) have the same network ssid. This makes it easy for the devices in the house to connect, as they automatically connect to the network with the best connection.

I've setup WIFI channels so that the isp router device is on channel 1 and the XWN 5001 is on channel 6.

The LEDs when the error appears are:

- power: green

- encryption: green,

- Wifi: blue

BR 

Andreas 

Message 3 of 4

@Annode wrote:

Hi Michael,

yes that's correct both devices (the router from my isp and the netgear xwn 5001) have the same network ssid. 

This is not recommended. The clients do not know which one to connect to if they see overlapping sources with the same name. That is why Netgear's wifi extenders append _EXT to SSIDs.

Wifi clients should be able to switch seamlessly between different wifi sources as they move around.

You could try different SSIDs and see if that cures your problems.

The LEDs suggest that your Powerline network is performing properly.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7