× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R6700v3 + Powerline

jayrrilles
Aspirant

Nighthawk R6700v3 + Powerline

Currently using a Nighthawk router and a TP-Link Powerline.  Would I get better speeds if you changed to a powerline by Netgear?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R6700v3 + Powerline

@jayrrilles wrote:

Currently using a Nighthawk router and a TP-Link Powerline.  Would I get better speeds if you changed to a powerline by Netgear?

tough to say with only knowing that tp-link powerline device you're using. 

Powerline devices follow a standard and if the maker follows that, there's isn't to much difference between them. There is a difference but not a ton. 

What speeds are you getting? 

How is it setup?

Are you going

modem-----powerline-----router

modem------router----powerline----device

what exactly is your goal? (other than speed) Are you trying to get certain performance to a certain device?

The more you tell us, the more we can help. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies

@jayrrilles wrote:

Would I get better speeds if you changed to a powerline by Netgear?

Who knows? You haven't provided enough details for an informed reply.

Powerline devices observe the AV standard.

AV500 is slower than new "1000" plugs. (The number describes the network speed.) You can now buy "2000" devices.

Then there is the rating of the LAN ports. Some are 100 Mbps, newer ones are 1000Mbps.

I would expect two brands to be about the same, but only if they have the same specifications. Add a fast plug to a slow network and you won't see any improvement. They will work at the speed of the slowest plug.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

@jayrrilles wrote:

tough to say with only knowing that tp-link powerline device you're using. 

Powerline devices follow a standard and if the maker follows that, there's isn't to much difference between them. There is a difference but not a ton. 

What speeds are you getting? 

How is it setup?

Are you going

modem-----powerline-----router

modem------router----powerline----device

what exactly is your goal? (other than speed) Are you trying to get certain performance to a certain device?

The more you tell us, the more we can help. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7