× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No ethernet port?

bhebert66
Aspirant

No ethernet port?

I assumed that my flatscreen TV would have an ethernet port but it does not.  I have an ethernet port on my DVD player and HDMI or USB ports on the TV.  Do I need an ethernet to HDMI connector to use a Powerline 2000?

Message 1 of 3

Re: No ethernet port?

@bhebert66 wrote:

I assumed that my flatscreen TV would have an ethernet port but it does not.  I have an ethernet port on my DVD player and HDMI or USB ports on the TV. 

What are you trying to connect to what?

What is this TV? Is it a smart one that "does Internet"?

What is this DVD player? Is it s mart one that connect to the Internet and provides streaming?

@bhebert66 wrote:

Do I need an ethernet to HDMI connector to use a Powerline 2000?

I have no idea if that will get you anywhere. It isn't somethijng I have tried and seems to be a bit of a messy option. As I read it, you'd have to feed the HDMI into the network from soemthing or other.

Depending on what you want to do, you could connect your DVD player to the Powerline network and then use the HDMI to feed the TV. I have done this using a PC monitor rather than a TV.

Failing that, if the TV connects over the wifi, then some Powerline devices include a wireless access point. Or you can connect a standalone wifi extender in AP mode to the Powerline network.

It all boils down to exactly what you are tyring to do, which I can't work out from your message.

Message 2 of 3
bhebert66
Aspirant

Re: No ethernet port?

The WIFI connection to my TV is poor, so I was trying to get the best signal.

I am using a ROKU, so I probably need a WIFI connection to get to the TV (which does not have an ethernet port, though it does have a USB plug).  The Powerline 2000 only gives me LAN to the TV, I must now need a WIFI converter to get a signal out for the ROKU.

It looks like I might have bought the wrong item and a simple WIFI booster might have worked for much cheaper, but I was unhappy with the loss of signal speed (though I didn't actually test that).

For the cost of a booster I now need to get a WIFI unit to add to my Powerline 2000.

The TV does have a "PC" plug (15 pin) but I guess that I still need a way to convert the LAN signal into something the TV can understand.

Is this enough information?

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7