× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No forum for MoCA?

No forum for MoCA?

I see there's no area on these forums for discussion of Netgear's MCAB1001 MoCA boxes. Is that because they just work so well that no discussion is needed?
Message 1 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: No forum for MoCA?

MoCA never really hit the spot in the forum either..lol not sure how much of these units been sold...:)
Message 2 of 9
jwrobel0398
Aspirant

I have exhausted all means to overcome my home network problem attempting wi-fi, av powerline adapters and have read that netgears MCAB1001 offers the best solution to the problem. My desktop is located in my upstairs office with the router, etc.... the second tv/blu ray is on the same floor but in another room. The primary tv/blu ray I want to enable to stream is located downstairs. Here's the question; the units (MoCA's) are sold in pairs and as I understand it you must have one directly connected to your router so that would put one unit in my office by my desktop. I understand I need at least two units so I would suppose the second unt would go to the other tv/blu ray located on the same floor. Now, I need connectivity to the downstairs home entertainment setup so do I need to purchase a third unit to connect to this device and complete the circuit? None of the schematics show such a set up, they only show a simple set up from one room with the desktop to another site with a media device. If another unit was introduced into the system would this cause a conflict or will they simply work as an add on like the av powerline adapters? The next question would be, how does one purchase a single unit or do you have to buy the kit including two units in each kit? Again; home office with desktop/modem/router in one room with no additional media devices to connect to, second room with one blu ray/tv on the same floor then another adapter downstairs to connect to home entertainment center? Any input would be appreciated. The documentation and guides on the net do not address this and leads one to believe connecting simply two devices will fire up the whole network but offer no documentation as to how to hook up a third zone.

John
Message 3 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

John,

I never gotten seen the unit onhand to test it out so contact support at my.Netgear.com and open trouble ticket:)
Message 4 of 9
jwrobel0398
Aspirant

I will attempt that although from what I am reading here netgear support leaves one in the shadows in regard to these things. The idea is brilliant in concept in comparison to attempting to utilize wi-fi for troubled situations and powerline (utilizing homes electrical wiring) has been shown to be lacking in comparison in regards to throughput. That's a shame as I feel it would be a real kicker if it worked as well as all those that have posted in regard to the same. My deal is with the way my home is situated I am not going to run hard cable throughout and am just sick of paying Time Warner $150 plus a month for garbage.

Thanks for the input.

John
Message 5 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

be surprised but seems this products may not hit very well to the consumer at all.
Message 6 of 9
jwrobel0398
Aspirant

Then what in fact would you suggest!? Actually all the reviews about individuals that have used these units have nothing but praise for them and just having learned of them myself have found that they have been out for some time. Why are you so adamant that they have not/nor have been successful? Do you work for the cable company :)?
Message 7 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I never seen thread of less than 10 in this forum so i just saying.

you would spend all day here and will not find much since there is no user post. I would work with support
Message 8 of 9
Yadda
Aspirant

jwrobel0398 wrote:
I have exhausted all means to overcome my home network problem attempting wi-fi, av powerline adapters and have read that netgears MCAB1001 offers the best solution to the problem. My desktop is located in my upstairs office with the router, etc.... the second tv/blu ray is on the same floor but in another room. The primary tv/blu ray I want to enable to stream is located downstairs. Here's the question; the units (MoCA's) are sold in pairs and as I understand it you must have one directly connected to your router so that would put one unit in my office by my desktop. I understand I need at least two units so I would suppose the second unt would go to the other tv/blu ray located on the same floor. Now, I need connectivity to the downstairs home entertainment setup so do I need to purchase a third unit to connect to this device and complete the circuit? None of the schematics show such a set up, they only show a simple set up from one room with the desktop to another site with a media device. If another unit was introduced into the system would this cause a conflict or will they simply work as an add on like the av powerline adapters? The next question would be, how does one purchase a single unit or do you have to buy the kit including two units in each kit? Again; home office with desktop/modem/router in one room with no additional media devices to connect to, second room with one blu ray/tv on the same floor then another adapter downstairs to connect to home entertainment center? Any input would be appreciated. The documentation and guides on the net do not address this and leads one to believe connecting simply two devices will fire up the whole network but offer no documentation as to how to hook up a third zone.

John

I have MCAB1001's for streaming Moxi DVR to Moxi Mate and connect to Internet. Never a problem; very solid. Also, easy to extend your Wi-Fi with strong signal with a second Wi-Fi router (I run WRT54GL on dd-wrt firmware).
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7