× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nobb question but what prevents neighbors from connecting?

WBFAir
Aspirant

Nobb question but what prevents neighbors from connecting?

Hello all.

Sorry for what is probably a really nobb question, but in using any kind of powerline setup really, why would it not be possible for any of my neighbors via their electrical outlets if they got one of the same units, be able to tap into my network with using this kind of a device?

If not even that as perhaps the answer is all the distance and all the stuff between their house and mine just degrades the signal to much, but lets say someone walked up to a outside outlet at my house when I wasn't home, plugged into it with one of these, could they then thus get in that way?

Thanks
Message 1 of 5
fordem
Mentor

Re: Nobb question but what prevents neighbors from connecting?

Have you configured encryption? If you have that will prevent anyone from connection without the encryption key, if you haven't then anyone can connect.
Message 2 of 5
WBFAir
Aspirant

There is the encryption naturally for my wireless network, but am guessing this is a connection that gets made on the wired side, so the wireless encryption does nothing for that if I am correct.
Message 3 of 5
fordem
Mentor

Powerline also has encryption.
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/XAV2001_UM_1Mar11.pdf

as an example.. read page 15... ALL power line device has encryption for two power line to be encrypted
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7