× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not a secure connection

cswinim
Follower

Not a secure connection

Hello,

My powerline 500 (model: xwnb5201) is working perfectly.  The only thing is, I cannot connect securely.  For example, if I am on my iPhone and go into the WiFi settings, the only connection not secure (with the lock around it) is the Netgear_Ext.  Does anyone know how to make the NetWork secure?  I have followed all the steps found online (as shown below) numerous times and have even completed a factory reset.

How to set up Your Powerline Wireless Extender and security (XWN5001 auto-configuration feature)
Use this method if you have a wireless router, or modem router with a WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup™) Push 'N' Connect button:

1. Plug the XWN5001 into a wall outlet close to your router to ensure that it is within the router's wireless coverage area.
  2. Press the WPS button on the front of the router.
  3. Within two (2) minutes, press and hold the XWN5001 Security button until the Wireless LED starts flashing (about 10+ seconds), then release it. This activates the auto configuration on the XWN5001, which retrieves the SSID and security settings from the router, then writes the same settings to the NETGEAR Powerline device.
  4. Move the XWN5001 to the area (or dead zone), where you want to extend the wireless coverage.
  5. Plug the Powerline AV 500 Adapter (NETGEAR Powerline device) into a wall outlet near your router, and use an Ethernet cable to connect it to the LAN port on the router. See Room 1 illustration.
  6. Ensure that both the NETGEAR Powerline device and XWN5001 are connected by checking the Powerline LEDs. If the LEDs are green or amber, the devices are successfully connected. A red LED indicates a weak link rate of 50 Mbps or less. In this case, move the
    adapter to another plug with a better connection. Wireless devices in that "dead" area can now connect to your network through the Powerline Adapter and Wireless Extender.
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Not a secure connection

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi cswinim,

Please check page 10 of the installation guide.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XWNB5201/XWNB5201_IG_30Oct2012.pdf

Message 2 of 3
JamesGL
Master

Hi cswinim,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7