× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PL 1000 connectivity issues

DOC007
Aspirant

PL 1000 connectivity issues

I just purchased the PL 1000 as an ugrade so that I can utilize the wireless capabilities and not just plug-in. So I was able to get it working plugged in as well as WPS on my cell phone. However, when trying to connect to my laptop that doesn't allow a direct push., it will not connect. When opening Link... and putting in the admin/password.  This doesn,t work... states that it is not correct.

The reason I bought this particular model was for the wireless function.

Thanks

Kevin

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: PL 1000 connectivity issues

There are two different things going on there.

The way to get into http://www.mywifiext.net/ is not the same as the way into the wifi.

As the bit you quote says First you need to be connected to the wifi. 

@DOC007 wrote:
There is a wifi key on one of the plugs, but what would be the user name if used. 

The wifi device you are trying to connect to should show and SSID for your network.

The manual says:

The network name is printed on the product label and is similar to Netgear##_EXT or Netgear##-5G_EXT.

@DOC007 wrote:
Not very user friendly when instructions tell you to use admin/password initially.

Indeed. Can't argue with that. Not at all user friendly.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

@DOC007 wrote:

When opening Link... and putting in the admin/password.  This doesn,t work... states that it is not correct.

That is the password for your router/modem. It is not the password for your plug's wifi.

The PL1000 does not have a wifi access point. Perhaps you mean PLW1000. Manual for that here:

>>> PLW1000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

It isn't clear to me what is going on here, the normal way to connect a laptop is to connect to the SSID you see and then feed in a password. That password is probably on the back of the plug (see below), as is the WPS key that you may be able to use.

Netgear XAV5201.JPG

Message 2 of 4
DOC007
Aspirant

Correct that is the model that I have: Instructions state:

Customize Your Network Settings The web browser setup guide helps you configure the WiFi settings of the PowerLINE. ¾ To change your settings: 1. With your computer or WiFi device connected to your WiFi network, open a web browser. 2. Navigate to the following address: www.mywifiext.net. 3. Follow the on-screen instructions. 4. When prompted to log in, enter the user name admin and the password password.

There is a wifi key on one of the plugs, but what would be the user name if used.  Not very user friendly when instructions tell you to use admin/password initially.

Kevin

Message 3 of 4

There are two different things going on there.

The way to get into http://www.mywifiext.net/ is not the same as the way into the wifi.

As the bit you quote says First you need to be connected to the wifi. 

@DOC007 wrote:
There is a wifi key on one of the plugs, but what would be the user name if used. 

The wifi device you are trying to connect to should show and SSID for your network.

The manual says:

The network name is printed on the product label and is similar to Netgear##_EXT or Netgear##-5G_EXT.

@DOC007 wrote:
Not very user friendly when instructions tell you to use admin/password initially.

Indeed. Can't argue with that. Not at all user friendly.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7