× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PL-1000 constantly dropping connection

230Daniel
Aspirant

PL-1000 constantly dropping connection

Since December 2018 I have had a Powerline network in my home. It consists of one adapter connected to the router, one to a Virigin V6 box, one to a Raspberry Pi, and one to my laptop. It has always worked flawlessly up to a few weeks ago.

Recently, the powerline adapter connected to my laptop has been dropping its ethernet connection. All 3 lights on the adapter remain green, except sometimes the pick-a-plug LED changes to amber. When this happens, the ethernet connection goes to the "No internet" status on Windows 10. I have fixed this issue before by unplugging and re-plugging the ethernet cable, but it normally cuts off again within 10 minutes. I have tried the troubleshooting tips in this article and have looked at these articles but none of them have fixed my issues. I also tried resetting every adapter on the network and re-configuring it, but this had no effect.

No powerline adapters are connected via an extension lead or surge protector. I have not noticed issues on the other 2 powerline adapters connected to other devices on the network. This only started recently, no change was made to the network when the problem started. All powerline adapters are the same model, as far as I can tell. (PL-1000). I have used the specific powerline adapter currently being used for my laptop for other devices in the past, and it has worked fine. (Before the cut-outs started happening) The connection has dropped out even in the middle of the night when I know that there is no electrical appliance such as a kettle or microwave being used. I have also gone through Device Manager and attempted to update all Network Adapter drivers, but it says that all of the drivers that are best for my device are installed.

Is there any solution to my problem? Thanks.

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 5
AnotherSarah
Aspirant

Re: PL-1000 constantly dropping connection

Hello,

Did you have any luck fixing this problem? We recently lost use of our two multiport powerline adapters xav1004 and xav5004. Strangely the 4-port elements of our network stopped working for no obvious reason, but we can still connect using the single port devices that came in the same box as the original items above. I think we are going to end up with an ethernet switch, some of them seem to be EoP compatible. Hope your problem is solved?

Message 2 of 5
230Daniel
Aspirant

Hi there!

It just so happens that I managed to fix the problem a few days ago. Instead of putting 3 devices to one power line adapter connected to the router, I set up two different networks in the house. I have two powerline adapters connected to the router, one networked to our TV and one to my computer. I haven't noticed any drops for these past few days, and as it would normally happen every few minutes, I'm pretty sure the problem is fixed.

Hope this helps!
Message 3 of 5
AnotherSarah
Aspirant

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for slack reply, the initial email wasn't sent and I haven't been back in here since.

I am glad you found a way around the problem, I haven't been able to do that because we only have one electric circuit in the house. Our single eop connection devices are working, it just involves changing cables over, how very last century.

I think the multi-port things just decided they didn't want to work with the nbn in the neighbourhood, although we hadn't changed anything internally.

We are planning to spend some money on some new splitter things.

Thanks for your reply.

S.

Message 4 of 5
230Daniel
Aspirant

Hi,

We don't have two elelctric circuits in our house either. I meant that I connected two networks of powerline via the same circuit, the networks are seperated using the security key feature. The issue was that the one powerline adaptor connected to the router was being overloaded, so changing things about to ensure that the powerline networks are only 1:1 resolved this issue and has been working to this day.

Here's a diagram I drew of how it works just in case I'm still unclear:

http://prntscr.com/oxsro2

Thanks, Daniel.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7