× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PL1000 No Ethernet Light

kekmeme17
Aspirant

PL1000 No Ethernet Light

Hello there! I am a PC gamer with a problem with the PL1000. I always used the PL500, and it always gave me very good internet and very low ping. Just a few days ago, I upgraded my motherboard, CPU, RAM, and CPU cooler. When I went to turn my PC back on, it worked, and I have reinstalled Windows succesfully. Only problem is that my PL500 was no longer working. I tried troubleshooting it but to no avail. I went out today to Best Buy and got a PL1000 and set everything up... On the side connected to my router, all three lights are green. However, the side connected to my computer has the Power LED and the Pick A Plug LED both green, but the Ethernet LED has no light at all. Is this due to my new motherboard? Do I need to do anything in the BIOS or something? Troubleshooting guides say that I must doa factory reset by hitting the factory reset button. I don't know if this is a really stupid question, but there is no button, only a tiny hole. How am I supposed to press anything?

If you could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Re: PL1000 No Ethernet Light

It isn't clear of you are mixing PL1000 and PL500 plugs. But if you are adding new plugs to an existing powerline network, then you should follow these instructions:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

As that says, this is the issue that you need to sort out:

When you purchase a Powerline bundle, the 2 Powerline adapters come pre-configured with matching security encryption keys, so they will automatically sync up when plugged into your home network. But once you have an existing Powerline network, how do you add more Powerline adapters to the network? You can use the steps below to add additional Powerline adapters to your network.

If that isn't the problem, it is easier to setup a powerline system if you have the "source" and "extension" plugs in the same room during setup. Then move the extension to its intended location.

As to the motherboard, it should make a difference, but new boards rarely arrive with the latest drivers, especially at the chipset level, which is where the network stuff comes in. Check the maker's website for the latest chipset drivers.

Does the PC do the Internet without going anywhere near the plugs?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies
kekmeme17
Aspirant

Additionally, after a while the P.A.P LED goes out and the Power LED goes red.

Message 2 of 11
danaya408
Aspirant

Im having the same exact issue. The package says the only requirement is regular electrical home wiring so I expected this to work right away. So im hopping on this thread too. hopefully this can get fixed soon.

Message 3 of 11

It isn't clear of you are mixing PL1000 and PL500 plugs. But if you are adding new plugs to an existing powerline network, then you should follow these instructions:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

As that says, this is the issue that you need to sort out:

When you purchase a Powerline bundle, the 2 Powerline adapters come pre-configured with matching security encryption keys, so they will automatically sync up when plugged into your home network. But once you have an existing Powerline network, how do you add more Powerline adapters to the network? You can use the steps below to add additional Powerline adapters to your network.

If that isn't the problem, it is easier to setup a powerline system if you have the "source" and "extension" plugs in the same room during setup. Then move the extension to its intended location.

As to the motherboard, it should make a difference, but new boards rarely arrive with the latest drivers, especially at the chipset level, which is where the network stuff comes in. Check the maker's website for the latest chipset drivers.

Does the PC do the Internet without going anywhere near the plugs?

Message 4 of 11
kekmeme17
Aspirant

I guess I was not clear enough.

After my PL500's gave me issues, I completely removee them from my router and computer. They are gone. I installed the PL1000's and they give me the issues I described with the LED's.

Thank you for a direction for chipset drivers, I am on vacation now but when I get home I'll be sure to do that.

I do have a dinky wifi adapter for the computer, but it will cover browsing.
Message 5 of 11
kekmeme17
Aspirant

THANK YOU! The drivers solved it, much appreciated.

Message 6 of 11

Ah, so nothing would have worked regardless of who made it.

Well fixed.

Message 7 of 11
danaya408
Aspirant

Hey kekmeme,

what drivers did you use exactly? I tried looking for a driver on the netgear download site for the PL1000 but nothing popped up. can you maybe attach the link you used? Still struggling with this issue

Thanks.

Message 8 of 11

@danaya408 wrote:
I tried looking for a driver on the netgear download site for the PL1000 but nothing popped up. can you maybe attach the link you used?

We are not talking about drivers that have anything to do with Netgear.

This is the key bit in my original response:

The drivers that fixed the problem for kekmeme17 were for their PC and its network (LAN) ports. If these are not right then nothing can use the PC's LAN sockets. You can test that by plugging the PC into the router without putting any powerline devices in the picture.

You will have to find out who made your PC, especially the motherboard, and then track down the Windows drivers for the built-in LAN chips.

The clue in kekmeme17's case was the reference to a new motherboard. These usually need tweaking because Windows does not have all the customised drivers for the hardware, only generic stuff that isn't always good enough.

You may have a different issue. I just wanted to save you time looking for drivers on the Netgear site. There aren't any.

Message 9 of 11
danaya408
Aspirant

@michaelkenward Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense since i tried to find them already haha. Ok well on my end I fixed the LED issue but my connection still isnt great. The strange thing is that once i plug the PL1000 into the ethernet port of my router, the wifi goes down for the rest of the house. My router is a newish Linksys model but I cant think of the exact model number at the moment. Ill have to check when I get home. I think this is a separate issue as you stated so Ill make a new thread for that. Thanks.

Message 10 of 11

@danaya408 wrote:

The strange thing is that once i plug the PL1000 into the ethernet port of my router, the wifi goes down for the rest of the house.

That isn't right. But you knew that anyway.

Sadly, these things can be a beast to sort out.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7