× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PL1000 and PL1000V2

me283
Aspirant

PL1000 and PL1000V2

Hi all,

Non-techie newbie here. Can I please ask what's probably a silly question:

I currently have a few PL1000 adapters which work absolutely fine. I now need extra adapters, so I would like to know if ithere is a limit to how many I can use, and also is the PL1000V2 adapter compatible with the existing PL1000?

Thanks in advance

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: PL1000 and PL1000V2

@me283 wrote:

There's no such thing as a silly question, only silly answers. So, here goes.

@me283 wrote:

I now need extra adapters, so I would like to know if ithere is a limit to how many I can use, and also is the PL1000V2 adapter compatible with the existing PL1000?

How many do you want to use?

Product FAQ: Powerline Adapters | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That says up to 64, but I have seen reports off issues with six plugs on one particular model.

The PL1000V2 will be fine with the PL1000.

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. The only issue if that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.

Remember, you need only one "source" plug connected to the router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

@me283 wrote:

There's no such thing as a silly question, only silly answers. So, here goes.

@me283 wrote:

I now need extra adapters, so I would like to know if ithere is a limit to how many I can use, and also is the PL1000V2 adapter compatible with the existing PL1000?

How many do you want to use?

Product FAQ: Powerline Adapters | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That says up to 64, but I have seen reports off issues with six plugs on one particular model.

The PL1000V2 will be fine with the PL1000.

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. The only issue if that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.

Remember, you need only one "source" plug connected to the router.

Message 2 of 4
me283
Aspirant

That's really helpful, thank you. I'm only looking to add a couple more so should be fine. I have another unit which doesn't seem to connect - it's a HP200PT64BT, and is older, but I was hoping it would work as a stop gap whilst I wait for my PL1000 units. I'll keep trying.

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

Message 3 of 4

@me283 wrote:

That's really helpful, thank you. I'm only looking to add a couple more so should be fine. I have another unit which doesn't seem to connect - it's a HP200PT64BT, and is older, but I was hoping it would work as a stop gap whilst I wait for my PL1000 units. I'll keep trying.

Could be the last of the old generation, pre-AV standard, plugs.  But even if it is an AV plug, at 200 Mbps, if you are lucky, it will slow down your Powerline network. This runs at the speed of the slowest plug on the network.

The PL1000 also have Gbps Ethernet ports, unlike anything that went before.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7