× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PL1000 internet drops

thamarty1979
Aspirant

PL1000 internet drops

Hi i have the PL1000 setup for almost one year on my FritzBox 7581. Everything worked fine until two weeks ago. The internet connection drops once in a few days with the message that powerline disturbes the dsl signal. 

I have reset the PL1000 adapters with no succes.

What could this be?

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: PL1000 internet drops

Powerline is very sensitive to interference but I couldn't find anywhere that the fritzbox you're using has powerline built in. 

So I guess I'd like more details/clarification.

1. Is the fritzbox losing internet or just the powerline setup?

2. Whats giving you the notice?   

3. Are the powerline devices working? 

4.The only real place the powerline and dsl have any connection at all would be the ground connection in the dsl box. You could check this.

The other though is halogen lights and flourescent lights have been known to create issues with dsl lines if the dsl wiring isn't shielded, is to close together, or just basically poorly setup. You could try rerunning your dsl line in your house with shielded cable or use a shielded ethernet wire to see if this cuts out the interference. 

Message 2 of 6
thamarty1979
Aspirant

Hi thanks for youre answer.

I like to explain the situation better.

I have a FritzBOX 7581 and its in an other room so i connected a cat5 cable to the fritzbox with an PL1000 adapter connected. In the other room i also have a PL1000 with my tv installed on it IPTV. The PL1000 are working fine its not slow and all lights are green. But sometimes my Fritzbox drops the DSL connection  with a message :

"Interference may have been caused by powerline"

Within 3 minutes DSL is working again till the next drop wich is in a few days or more.

I already replaced the PL1000 further from the modem but that doesnt solve it.

And it worked really good for almost 1,5 years.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Its kind of like the message says "it may have been caused by the powerline". Thats the problem in troubleshooting it. Usually if there's enough interference on a line to cause issues, the powerline will have issues. so it's time to troubleshoot if its bothering you that bad.

If its happening that frequently (ever couple days), you could unhook the powerline for the time being and see if the problem resolves. If it does, it doesn't mean its the powerline, it just means something is bleeding over into the dsl from the wiring structure in your house. it could be a worn cord, a bad ground on the dsl interface, or something else within your house. Basically anything within your house that uses electricity can cause issues for dsl if wired wrong. If the cable runs next to a microwave outlet, it could cause problems. If the cable is running next to speaker wires, I've read of issues. Another thing to check is the lights. I've read of halogen or fluorescent lights putting feedback into lines that causes issues. it potentially could be them. 

Another potential troubleshooting would be to relocate the router to a different dsl access in the house (if there is one). Or to rule out wiring within the walls creating the problem, run a new wire (for testing) from the box into the house and see how it works.  A dedicated line ran from your box to the modem is one of the best ways to help rule out interference. 

something to do is keep track of whats running/in use whenever it happens. If it was the powerline device adding interference, you'd expect the problem to crop up everytime it was used and not just randomly.  

I wish you luck with this as it could be very trial and error to figure out whats causing the issue. 

Message 4 of 6
thamarty1979
Aspirant

Thanks for youre response. I will have to troubleshoot the problem.

Its gonna take some time. 

I also have a new package of the PL1000 V2 im using V1 now. Maybe V2 will work better, its also an option to test this out.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

I hope it helps for you but I doubt the issue is from the powerline devices themselves or it'd happen all the time when they wre in use. Not just randomly. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7