× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PL1200-100UKS 1200 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter on HOUSE ring main

allenre
Initiate

PL1200-100UKS 1200 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter on HOUSE ring main

I am looking at the PL1200-100UKS 1200 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter to extend the range of my network: I tried a wireless adapter but the layout of my house prevented it from operating properly. I understand how powerline ethernet adaptors use the power cabling within a building to transmit the signal but what happens if the power sockets of the transmitter end (i.e. the router) are on a different circuit to the sockets on the receiving end (TV, laptop, etc.)? Will the signal still reach the users?

Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Its not an easy 100% answer. 

powerline works best for devices on the same circuit. 

Can you have them on seperate circuits? For sure. 

But speeds drop quite a bit and it becomes more sensitive to interference from other devices on the whole network. 

Things that can add interference? 

• high draw appliances
  • poor/old/band wiring
  • surge protectors
  • arc fault circuits
  • gfci outlets
  • cheap cell phone charges
  • electronics going bad
  • and other typs

So simple answer of will it work? probably. 

Will it be fast? harder to answer

I usually tell people to buy from somewhere with a good return policy in case it works poorly. 

Do you happen to have coax ran throughout your home? another option to check into is moca adapters (ethernet over coax)

Message 2 of 4
allenre
Initiate

Many thanks for the quick response. No, we don't have coax (it's a very old house) but it sounds like the best thing to do is try the PL1200 for speed and see if it works. Good call on the returns policy, too.

Thanks again.

Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 3 of 4

@allenre wrote:

....what happens if the power sockets of the transmitter end (i.e. the router) are on a different circuit to the sockets on the receiving end (TV, laptop, etc.)? Will the signal still reach the users?

Different circuits in what sense?

If they are on separate rings – upstairs and downstairs for example  – that go through the same fuse box, I have no issues. But if there are lot of circuit breakers and isolators there may be issues. In my case, the signal will jump over isolated fuse boxes and switches, but the traffic is slow.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7