× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PL1200 does nothing?

Onyxdragun
Aspirant

PL1200 does nothing?

I just bought a pair of PL1200 and trying to pass the network upstairs.

// Downstairs
[ Internet ] ---- [ Gateway ] ---- [ 8-port Gigabit Switch ] ---- PowerLine

// Upstairs
Powerline --- [ Linksys WRT] ---- [ PC ]

The 3 LEDs on both adapters are green. Yet, the upstairs computer or router cannot pull a DHCP address or access the gatway when statically assigned. I've attached the PC upstairs directly to the PL1200 and it too cannot pull a DHCP address or access gateway when set to a static address either.

What other things can I try to get this working?

I've tried with and without security enabled. I've factory reset both PL1200s as well incase the security key wasnt set up correctly.

Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Onyxdragun
Aspirant

Re: PL1200 does nothing?

Ok so I moved the Pl1200 from upstairs to downstairs. Resetted both units and it's working.
I then re-enabled the security on the pair and it seems to still be working.

I'll check back when I have time to move the one PL1200 unit back upstairs and see if it's still working.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
Onyxdragun
Aspirant

Ok so I moved the Pl1200 from upstairs to downstairs. Resetted both units and it's working.
I then re-enabled the security on the pair and it seems to still be working.

I'll check back when I have time to move the one PL1200 unit back upstairs and see if it's still working.

Message 2 of 7

You don't need to reset the security when you move devices around.

Just move the plugs. They will remember their settings and carry on talking to one another.

Message 3 of 7
netwrks
Master

@Onyxdragun wrote:

// Downstairs

// Upstairs

The 3 LEDs on both adapters are green. Yet, the upstairs computer or router cannot pull a DHCP address or access the gatway when statically assigned. I've attached the PC upstairs directly to the PL1200 and it too cannot pull a DHCP address or access gateway when set to a static address either.

What other things can I try to get this working?

I've tried with and without security enabled. I've factory reset both PL1200s as well incase the security key wasnt set up correctly.

According to this diagram your powerline is plugging into a switch?  should look like this:

Gateway LAN port -- powerline - upstairs powerline second floor to Linksys..

Also, if your devices have assigned static IP addresses, how would you expect the devices to get served a different IP address, from DHCP?

Message 4 of 7

@netwrks wrote:

@Onyxdragun wrote:

// Downstairs

// Upstairs

According to this diagram your powerline is plugging into a switch?  should look like this:

Gateway LAN port -- powerline - upstairs powerline second floor to Linksys..

Also, if your devices have assigned static IP addresses, how would you expect the devices to get served a different IP address, from DHCP?

Not  sure that I follow the "new" layout. It seems to miss out a few components.

Assuming that the Gatway, whatever that is, has more than one LAN port, probably better to do this:

// Downstairs [ Internet ] ---- [ Gateway ] >----  PowerLine

|> ---- [ 8-port Gigabit Switch ] 

Upstairs depends on what the Linksys WRT, whatever that is, is supposed to provide.

Seems like a bit of a messy network.

There's been another discussion around with someone planning a "non-typical" network topology.

Message 5 of 7
Onyxdragun
Aspirant

Not sure why it wouldn't be "typical".  There is a WiFi Router upstairs and a WiFi router downstairs. The upstairs is not ours as it's the Landlords (my Father-in-Law actually).

Modem is connected to a WiFi Router downstairs (i mentioned this as Gateway in the previous diagram).

// Downstairs
[Modem] --- [TP-Link WiFi Router] --- [Switch] --- [PowerLine]

// Upstairs
[PowerLine] --- [Linksys WRT] --- [PC]

So it may not be typical to have multiple Wi-Fi Routers in a home. I actually have 3.
My network is a bit more complicated than a normal user I would assume.
My Modem and TP-Link router are in one part of the house and then I run a fairly long Ethernet cable to the Switch (in the above diagram) that is connected to a Desktop, 3 NAS devices, Printer, Thunderbold Dock for a Mac, indoor Security Camera, indoor Weather unit and some other things. The TP-Link is a tri-band router that makes use of  3 separate frequencies I make use of for the variety of wireless devices we have too (phones, streaming etc).

I had a DLink router pushing the wireless signal upstairs via a Linksys RE1000 expander which then fed into the Linksys WRT for the upstairs Comptuer + a separate SSID for the users on the top 2 floors. But with RE1000 has given me nothing but troubles so I put in a Belkin USB Wifi module into the Desktop computer upstairs (denoted as PC in the above). That also proved to not being totally reliable even though the Wifi modules show sit has great signal and connected at N speeds. This is where the Powerline comes into play, sort of a last resort 😉

So I plugged the PL1200 into the switch downstairs while plugging the other PL1200 upstairs to where the PC is. The Linksys WRT is set as a gateway as opposed to a router and it does not serve DHCP. Though since yesterday I've replaced the WRT with a DLink DualBand router and it is set up similarlity to the WRT (Gateway as opposed to Router, and not serving DHCP to the wired or wireless clients). The PL1200 is plugged into one of the LAN ports on the DLink and then the upstairs PC is plugged also into one of the LAN ports. The PC now receives DHCP addessing from the TP-Link router downstairs and all is happy in the world.

Message 6 of 7

@Onyxdragun wrote:

Not sure why it wouldn't be "typical".  There is a WiFi Router upstairs and a WiFi router downstairs.

That's not typical. Sticking two routers on a network can cause all sorts of havoc, even when you don't throw powerline into the fray.

There's nothing to say that "off piste"  layout won't work. But they can take a  bit more effort to understand what is going on.

The best way to start is to set things up as near as possible to the diagrams that Netgear uses for these things. When everything works then you can move stuff around.

As I explained, when you do that you know that the plugs are properly configured and you can move them around safe in the knowledge that they work as intended.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7