× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLP 1200

Barryin604
Aspirant

PLP 1200

I have the PLP1200 powerline adapter which works fine.Ehternet connection to device.  I want to add wifii in another room.  I know that wifii range extenders merely take an existing wifii signal and boosts them.  They are subject to the range and limitations of the wifii signal from the router.   For my configuration, the ideal adapter would be one that uses the powerline ie house wiring to move signal to the adapter BUT the adapter is a wifii point.   

If I understand , then such a wfii point would be more stable and possibly stronger than a mere wifii range extender.  Why?  I have KEF wireless speakers that stream audio over wifii.  2 story home.  Router is on top floor.  Speakers on on 1st floor.  Concrete construction.

I have range extenders and they can be finicky in the stability of the wifii signal...Thus a powerline adapter with a wifii antennae would be ideal in such circumstances...Is here such a device/adapter?  

Message 1 of 4

Re: PLP 1200

@Barryin604 wrote:

I know that wifii range extenders merely take an existing wifii signal and boosts them.  

I don't know where you got that information. It is wrong. Most, if not all, range extenders have the option to work in access point (AP) mode. In general, that will be better than as a repeater.

What you are referring to is wireless bridge mode or WDS, sometimes wifi repeater. But that is just one option. As you say, it may not be the best option.

Thus a powerline adapter with a wifii antennae would be ideal in such circumstances...Is here such a device/adapter?  

Netgear sells Powerline devices that include a combined access point/Ethernet port at the remote end. But these APs are likely to be less powerful than standalone APs. You also have to buy them as a bundle with a "source" plug.

PLW1000 | Powerline | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

I have used both on the same network, Powerline AP plug as well as router in AP mode connected over Ethernet Powerline. 

So you can use Powerline to feed its own AP or to feed a standalone range extender.

Message 2 of 4
Barryin604
Aspirant

Sensei , thanks for your clear and comprehensive answer to a newbie stumbling around in this part of tech...

Netgear sells Powerline devices that include a combined access point/Ethernet port at the remote end. But these APs are likely to be less powerful than standalone APs. You also have to buy them as a bundle with a "source" plug.

Yeah, this sounds like what I seek, a Powerline device where the remote end has both a ethernet port and a wifii WAP at the remote end.

Yeah....Netgear doesnot sell single adapters, when one already has one connected to ther router end already.   bummer..

If you could explain to 'grasshopper' If such a combined access point (wifii ) would be less stable, less signal strength than say a simple wfi range repeater.  

I

Message 3 of 4

@Barryin604 wrote:
If you could explain to 'grasshopper' If such a combined access point (wifii ) would be less stable, less signal strength than say a simple wfi range repeater.  

In my experience, the Powerline wifi is actually more stable than a repeater.

Most repeaters take the wifi from a router over a wifi link and then pass it on to nearby wifi clients. This means that there are two wifi hops between client and router. A decent Powerline link is wired and is less likely to fall over.

I see Powerline as somewhere between a wired LAN link, with a reliable Ethernet cable all the way, and wifi, with a possibly flaky weak link in the router to repeater leg. The only fly in the ointment is the mains circuit. If that is noisy for some reason then that could slow down the connection.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7