× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLP1000 Compatibility with PLW1010 (or other wireless model)

Dazman9
Follower

PLP1000 Compatibility with PLW1010 (or other wireless model)

Hey there, I live in an old house with thick brick walls where I stuggle to get a wifi signal in rooms more than one room away from the wifi box. I have a few PLP1000 ethernet adapters which work just great for my son's Playstation and PC up stairs, but I'd also like to get wifi at the back of the house, upstairs and in the garden.  Is the PLW1010 (or other powerline Netgear wifi product) compatible with the PLP1000 on the same power loop?  If not are there any Netgear products which are.

Thanks, Darryl.

Model: PLP1000|Powerline 1000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: PLP1000 Compatibility with PLW1010 (or other wireless model)

As @plemans says, it will work. But things to bear in mind:

• you can't buy the wifi (AP) bit on its own from Netgear, only the two-plug bundle
  • Powerline is an industry standard, so you could add a different brand of AP plug to your existing network
  • if you do buy the bundle, you need just one plug connected to the router

Remember, when adding new plugs to an existing network, you need to follow this advice:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

Another way to achieve what you want is not to buy the two-plug bundle with AP combined but to use a standard remote plug as the wired connection to a standard extender/access point. In this way you could get a remote wifi source that is more powerful than the bundled plug. I have an Orbi router (in AP mode) at the "remote" end of a Powerline network.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Yes it is compatible and will work

Message 2 of 3

As @plemans says, it will work. But things to bear in mind:

• you can't buy the wifi (AP) bit on its own from Netgear, only the two-plug bundle
  • Powerline is an industry standard, so you could add a different brand of AP plug to your existing network
  • if you do buy the bundle, you need just one plug connected to the router

Remember, when adding new plugs to an existing network, you need to follow this advice:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

Another way to achieve what you want is not to buy the two-plug bundle with AP combined but to use a standard remote plug as the wired connection to a standard extender/access point. In this way you could get a remote wifi source that is more powerful than the bundled plug. I have an Orbi router (in AP mode) at the "remote" end of a Powerline network.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7