× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PLP1200 Worked Perfect for One Day

curbappealpix
Aspirant

PLP1200 Worked Perfect for One Day

Just set this up yesterday.  Router is on main floor of our home and the laptop connected to the receiver via ethernet is on second floor.  Set it up and had it working all day yesterday with no issues.  Today when I turned on the laptop there was no internet connection and the three LED lights on the Powerline adapter were off.  I tried several different outlets throughout the house but lights remained off .  Attempted multiple factory resets (The reset button is actually not really aligned with the little hole on the bottom of the unit, which makes it difficult) with still no  luck.   I'm assuming the fact that this worked perfectly yesterday  means there  is no issue with  the wiring in our home.  But  no matter what I try, I cannot  get any lights or  signs of life from that second receiver.   Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
curbappealpix
Aspirant

I was on the phone with Netgear tech support for about 1.5 hours  yesterday and again today and still not working.  So my solution is to return the Netgear product and buy a t-link because I have wasted enough time on this thing and it's clear that support has no clue  -- for some reason they refuse to believe the unit itself might be defective

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14

All Replies

It could be that the plugs were faulty and died overnight, but another possibility is that the things went into "sleep mode". (Apparently they ship them with that turned on by default.) But a reset should have woken them up.

Message 2 of 14
alokeprasad
Mentor

How can one disable the sleep mode on these things?

Its terrible that there is no web-access (using their IP addresses) to configurations of these units...

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 3 of 14
curbappealpix
Aspirant

I was on the phone with Netgear tech support for about 1.5 hours  yesterday and again today and still not working.  So my solution is to return the Netgear product and buy a t-link because I have wasted enough time on this thing and it's clear that support has no clue  -- for some reason they refuse to believe the unit itself might be defective

Message 4 of 14

@alokeprasad wrote:

How can one disable the sleep mode on these things?

Netgear stopped providing control software some time ago. But you can use the software that supports other brands. You can also do it with the Netgear desktop genie for your operating system.

Powerline Network MapPowerline Network Map

Right click your device and see the controls

@alokeprasad wrote:

Its terrible that there is no web-access (using their IP addresses) to configurations of these units...

As I tried to explain earlier, there is no IP address that you can access. That's not how powerline works.

Message 5 of 14
alokeprasad
Mentor

Thx.

Where can I get the latest Genie for Windows from a Netgear site?

Message 6 of 14

Sorry, I should have put it in. Netgear hides it pretty well.

If you want the desktop genie for Windows start here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

You may have to dismiss an annoying pop-up that tries to push a mobile app down your throat.

Message 7 of 14
alokeprasad
Mentor

That immediately redirects to

https://www.netgear.com/home/services/nighthawk-app

Message 8 of 14

Message 9 of 14
alokeprasad
Mentor

Thanks!  That worked.

I show Tx: 385 Mbps; Rx: 314 Mbps (not symmetric, interesting!) and encrypted connection.

I can change encryption keys and everything!

Hard to believe that Netgear has stopped supporting such a useful Windows app without any replacement.

The link to this app should be a sticky on top of the forum.  It'll answer so many questions.

Will this app be usable w the Orbi's? I'm replacing my Nighthawk R9000 w RBK50's.

Aloke

Message 10 of 14

@alokeprasad wrote:

Hard to believe that Netgear has stopped supporting such a useful Windows app without any replacement.

Oh so true. It isn't as if Netgear has abandoned the Powerline market.

That shortcoming is especially strange now that they are doing their best to ditch the desktop Netgear genie at the same time.

@alokeprasad wrote:

The link to this app should be a sticky on top of the forum.  It'll answer so many questions.

And then they go and remove the link that has worked for years!

@alokeprasad wrote:

Will this app be usable w the Orbi's? I'm replacing my Nighthawk R9000 w RBK50's.

My experience is that the desktop genie does as much with Orbis as with the Nighthawks.

Message 11 of 14
alokeprasad
Mentor

Installed ORBI RBK50. 

Genie works great with it. Way better UI than the Orbi's built-in interface.

I wish I could get the backhaul connection speed using Genie, like I can for the PowerLine adapters.

Message 12 of 14

@alokeprasad wrote:

Genie works great with it. Way better UI than the Orbi's built-in interface.

Best of all with the Orbi is the browser GUI. But that is useless with Powerline plugs.

Message 13 of 14
alokeprasad
Mentor

Good thing Windows version still works. 

The iOS version refuses to connect to the Orbi (over WiFi).

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7