× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLP1200 and IP Multicast

TheMrT
Aspirant

PLP1200 and IP Multicast

Does the PLP1200 support IP multicast?

My use case is simple. The server is running Video Lan Client ( VLC ) and all interested devices on the network are also running VLC.

The server command is :

cvlc -v video.mp4 --sout '#rtp{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=232.43.211.234,port=1234,sap,name=multicast}'

And the client command is :

vlc -v rtp://@232.43.211.234:1234

The client receives the stream and plays it perfectly when it is connected to the same switch as the server. But will the client receive the stream when the stream has to pass through PLP1200 powerline adapters?
Message 1 of 4

Re: PLP1200 and IP Multicast

@TheMrT wrote:

The client receives the stream and plays it perfectly when it is connected to the same switch as the server. But will the client receive the stream when the stream has to pass through PLP1200 powerline adapters?

Tried it?

The Powerline plug is essentially a dumb device with nothing in there to mess around with the traffic.

But what PLP1200 is this? Not a bundle with a wifi plug?

Message 2 of 4
TheMrT
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. I don't own them yet. I was hoping that someone in the community had tried it and would be able to confirm that it would work before I make the purchase.
Message 3 of 4

The only place to find out what the Powerline stuff supports is probably the documentation.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

The number of people here who will have tried the exotic set of things you asked about will be tiny. One way to look for information is to search this place for something like

Search - NETGEAR Communities – "Video Lan Client"

See what I mean?

Or try a place where they talk about that sort of thing. After all, Powerline is Powerline. All brands follow the same standard and work in the same way.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7