× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLP1200 connection showing other devices

pbj0995
Aspirant

PLP1200 connection showing other devices

I have two PLP1200 powerline adapters connected to a Netgear R6300  router.  I live in a condo complex and I just noticed that my neighbors PLP1200 network is attached to my router.  As a matter of fact about 5 devices from other LANS are also attached. I have done the security setting for the PLP's but that looks like it is more concerned with encrypting traffic between my devices, not letting other devices onto my network.  I did a test and disconnected by router and my neighbors devices could not connect to the Internet.

How can I keep these devices from running through my router?  

Model: PLP1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
pbj0995
Aspirant

Re: PLP1200 connection showing other devices

I just returned home and tried your suggestion.  That seems like it did the trick.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't think I would have found that KB.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies

That's a seriously strange one. Never seen anything like it before.

Have you factory reset the plugs? This could break the links with any parasite plugs.

Can you block access in the router? Turn on Access Control and block the plugs.

The puzzle is how did their devices connect to your plugs? It is hard to get extra plugs to work with an existing network when you try. By accident seems unlikely.

How do you know that these plugs are connected to your router? What do they look like in the Network map for the R6300?

Have you tried the desktop genie? The Network map, when it works, will have separate tabs for Powerline stuff. It might give some clues as to what connects to what.

Message 2 of 6
pbj0995
Aspirant

Please see the answers to your questions below.  Thank you for your time.  I am so puzzled by this.  I started looking at this because my wireless network was running incredibly slow.  I had no idea that I was going to discover all kinds of devices connected to my router.

Have you factory reset the plugs? This could break the links with any parasite plugs.

I have not tried a reset of the plugs.  

Can you block access in the router? Turn on Access Control and block the plugs.

I probably can by using the MAC address or something.  Seems like I would have to regularly check to see who is using my network and from which devices.

The puzzle is how did their devices connect to your plugs? It is hard to get extra plugs to work with an existing network when you try. By accident seems unlikely.

I know what you are saying when I discovered them I was shocked.  I had an extra plug and added it to another plug in my unit and it picked it up in less than five seconds.

How do you know that these plugs are connected to your router? What do they look like in the Network map for the R6300?

I logged into the router and it shows eight wired devices and ten wireless devices.  I have one device wired to my router along with the PLP1200 which has a second device. When I unplug the PLP1200, seven of the eight devices disappear.  When I plug it back in, they come back.  I can ping all of the wired devices and they answer the ping, so it appears that they are real devices.

As a side note, my router also has about ten wireless connections which are IOT and phones that I can account for.

One last thing, one of the wired device names just so happened to be my neighbors name.  I did not think much about that until she commented that her Internet had not been working during about the same time I was disconnecting and reconnecting my router.  The funny thing about all this is that I recommended the PLP1200 to her about six months ago as a way to connect a device in her unit that did not have wireless capability.

Have you tried the desktop genie? The Network map, when it works, will have separate tabs for Powerline stuff. It might give some clues as to what connects to what.

I did and it shows me basically the same thing as logging onto the router.  I shows all the extra wired devices and I can knock them off my router but they come back on after I unplug/plug the PLP device attached to my router.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

My guess is that you are both using the default encryption key for the powerline adapter network.

Try changing yours using this procedure: https://kb.netgear.com/30785/How-to-manually-set-the-Encryption-Key-for-the-Powerline-adapter-networ... That should break the link between the two networks.  After you've done it, you should suggest that your neighbor also change theirs.

Message 4 of 6
pbj0995
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestion.  I will give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

Message 5 of 6
pbj0995
Aspirant

I just returned home and tried your suggestion.  That seems like it did the trick.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't think I would have found that KB.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7