× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLP2000 Cannot see all computers on network

John-Fail
Aspirant

PLP2000 Cannot see all computers on network

I have 4 computers, two in one room (my den) and two in another (Wife's den), the first two are normal desktop pc's, the other two in my wife's den are one desktop and a toshiba laptop.  The network is a nighthawk router with a netgear modem, I have always used my 2 pc's thru a switch to the router and they have always worked fine.  My wife's computers used Wi-Fi only.  I bought a Powerline 2000 + extra outlet, hooked it up to her PC and it worked fine on the internet and I was able to see and log into all three computers.  I then hooked up her laptop to the second network outlet on the Powerline 2000 in her den.  It works fine, uses the internet fine etc.  When clicking on network from the Windows desktop on the laptop I can "see" and log into all of the four computers.  Problem is none of the other three computers can "see" or log into the laptop.  I have tried everything on the laptop I can think of so the other three computers can "see" and log in to the laptop , control panel > network > sharing on, discovery on, passwords disabled.  Many internet inquiries about "cannot see other computers on network" etc.  Nothing seems to make the laptop visable to the other three computers on the network.

Anyone have any ideas?  Much appreciated.

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
John-Fail
Aspirant

Re: PLP2000 Cannot see all computers on network

I found the damn thing.  The latest windows update had changed the network on the laptop from private to public.  What a PITA.  I hate Microsoft.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
John-Fail
Aspirant

I found the damn thing.  The latest windows update had changed the network on the laptop from private to public.  What a PITA.  I hate Microsoft.

Message 2 of 3

Well spotted.

That is a regular issue, I'm afraid.

And not just when Microsoft dumps on us. New setups can do the same thing.

One trouble is that Microsoft also moves settings around so I canlt always find them.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7