× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLP2000 Expected Speed

jethroD
Aspirant

PLP2000 Expected Speed

Hi. I have Spectrum cable for internet with an older Arris WiFi router (4-port ethernet + 802.11n dual-band). My computer is on the 2nd floor of an average-sized apartment, with the router at the base of the stairs (roughly 40 ft. away judging by a loose ethernet cable run). 

I have the Powerline 2000 connected directly to the router and then a couple feet away from my computer upstairs.

I'm just trying to determine if the speed reductions I'm seeing are to be expected. I know it promotes 'Gigabit speed', but also that that is theoretical and not typically expected. But it just seems way too far off from what I'd think.

When running speed tests on my computer (High-end Dell workstation / Windows 10 / Ookla - Speedtest.net), here are my results:

A) Direct ethernet cable to router (50' cable): 230Mbps / 11Mbps

B) WiFi (802.11n @ 5Ghz): 66Mbps / 11Mbps

C) Powerline 2000: 60Mbps / 9Mbps

- Is this inline with reality when using Powerlink in certain situations?

- If not, what could the issues be (I tried multiple tests, with unpluggin & plugging in cable)?

I guess I expected it to at least be faster than my WiFi at this distance, but maybe I'm hoping for too much. I'm open to trying a different device to get better speeds possibly. Unfortunately, no easy way to run the ethernet cable unless I wanted it out along the stairs & walls (not elegant).

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4

Re: PLP2000 Expected Speed

@jethroD wrote:

Hi. I have Spectrum cable for internet with an older Arris WiFi router (4-port ethernet + 802.11n dual-band).

And that router is?

@jethroD wrote:

I guess I expected it to at least be faster than my WiFi at this distance, but maybe I'm hoping for too much.

I'd also expect powerline to be faster than wifi. But there are places where things can go wrong. Hence the question about the router.

It doesn't seem likely that it is so old that it has ports stuck on 100 Mbps, but people have turned up here with just that problem.

Powerline also dislikes extension cables with surge protection and other stuff that tries to be helpful by "cleaning up" the signal.

Message 2 of 4
jethroD
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry, my router is an Arris TG1672. It is listed as a 4-port Gigabit router with 802.11n 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz.

So it should be connecting via Gigabit ports on all ends. And when I ran the direct ethernet connection test (which measured 230Mbps), the 50' cable was just plugged into one of the other 4 ports on the back of the router. It does seem to be behaving as if it's 100Mbps connection, though. That's my confusion.

And both Powerline devices are plugged direclty into the wall sockets (i.e., not through a powerstrip of any sort).

- Any other reasons the speed would be so much slower?

Trying to determine if I should just get a new router that supports 802.11ac and forget about Powerline. But I 'should' be able to get at least closer to the direct ethernet connection I would expect.

Let me know if there's anything else I can check.

THANKS!

Message 3 of 4
jethroD
Aspirant

- Any other ideas what may be going on here and if I should expect to get higher speeds?

Connecting via Gigabit port to Powerline (plugged-directly to wall), then other Powerline about 40-50' away (again, plugged directly into wall) and into my computer (Gigabit port).

Why does it drop from 230Mbps (direct ethernet cable) all the way to 60Mbps (Powerline)?

- Should I just accept this is the best Powerline can do and explore 802.11AC wifi routers?!?

Thanks!

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7