× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PLP2000 Firmware, monitoring, how many PLP2000

Chris_2018
Aspirant

Hello,

After a last call to the support this morning, I declined the offer to change 2 CPLs with a Netgear Wifi repeater.

Reason : I've lost the trust in the Netgear materials and I don't want to discover a problem with this Wifi Repeater and to here from the support that my installation is the root cause of the problem.

I'm thinking about sending back all CPLs to the seller and to find reliable ones from another Company.

Only the labs Netgear doesn't encounter the problem we have with these CPLs.

The ticket is going to be closed by the support but the problem is still here for us.

Message 26 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

That is unfortunate. NETGEAR needs to get their act together here. I will not close my ticket until they fix the problem. I will be happy to be a test case for them.

Why would they close a ticket when multiple users are having the exact same issue? I don’t get it. Might it be because they know they have a bunch of bricks now for PLP2000’s?!!!!

I will not stop until this issue is resolved. I will keep everyone posted. As of this moment, the issue is NOT resolved, and I need someone from support to return my support ticket request.

Thanks for the update, Chris.

Message 27 of 47
ewanbotterill
Aspirant

Hi, I am experiencing the same issue. I purchased 6 PLP2000 adaptors. As soon as I plug in the 5th, the pick-a-plug goes red. It does not matter which sockets I plug the units in, nor the order I plug them in. Above 4 units is an issue... Nor can you put the model number in to a reply as it does not seem to be registered for folks to ask questions. And online live Chat to Netgear does not seem to be any use as they start a chat and then disappear... Surely Netgear must be better than this? Any help appreciated. Ewan
Message 28 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

Ewan - I have been working with support and engineering on this. They are aware of the issue and are doing testing and troubleshooting - sadly at a molasses pace.

I am using this software to diagnose and see the transmission rate of these PLP2000 units:

https://www.zyxel.com/support/DownloadLandingSR.shtml?c=gb&l=en&kbid=M-02103&md=PLA5456#

They have all my screenshots and are seeing the problem - when 5 or more of these units are plugged in, the transmission rate drops to 11mbps on ALL units - hence the red light.

It is a problem.

As soon as they have an update I will let everyone know. You might want to try a couple of PLP1200’s in the interim while waiting for a fix/replacement.

I told them they MUST fix/replace these once they have the solution - and free of charge.

I am all over them. They know I am NOT happy with them or the glacial pace they are moving at to fix this problem.

Message 29 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

A couple of things about the Zyxel software. It really does work well - however, it takes a good 1-2 minutes to load - so you have to be patient with that. It is NOT NETGEAR software, but the guts of these things are all made by the same manufacturer. 

You can also set encrypted passwords, name the units individually AND you can see the send/receive transmission rates of all the units individually.

It does NOT have a firmware update option - and that is problematic to me. It tells me that these things cannot be updated. HOWEVER, they do have Ethernet ports on them - and maybe it is possible to do any future firmware updates / fixes to the problem via one of the Ethernet ports? We’ll have to see what NETGEAR says about that.

You think these people would have run these kinds of tests BEFORE sending them out to the consumer. What a dismal failure. 

In the meantime, you can rest assured - ANYONE who has tried to install 5 or more of these things is having the SAME problem. Four seem to be fine. Five and above plugged in at the same time are when all hell breaks loose.

Message 30 of 47
ewanbotterill
Aspirant

Many thanks for that... BTW. I could not get to the FTP site to download the software. Is it still active? Cheers Ewan
Message 31 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

Yes Ewan - I was able to download it again just now. On the list that shows ‘Software’ select either of the two download sites. If they do not work for you, you can also go to the other PLA 5400 series powerline adapters and try the download there too - it’s all the same!

Message 32 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

Friends,

I just got off the phone with NETGEAR Corporate offices. They returned my call. I spoke with a competent person who has promised to get answers to the fix for this problem, AND he told me he has forwarded my concerns about the ABYSMAL outsourced tech support to India to the executive staff.

I am expecting this resolution to start moving faster now.

If not, THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY. Either they fix the firmware OR they replace these with version 2 PLP2000 adapters. I made this abundantly clear to the exec at NETGEAR.

More to come... 

Message 33 of 47

Good on you for persevering. Keep up the good work. I must say that my own attempts to use "back channels" to get answers have failed.

I get the impression that Netgear would rather like Powerline to die. No support to speak of, and no attempt to write a utility that addresses user needs. The desktop genie in Windows does some of the job, but it has its shortcomings.

Message 34 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

September 12 update:

I received 2 software updates from engineering to attempt to update the firmware on these PLP2000 units. The first software had no firmware package (gee, what a shock), but the diagnostic software is good. You can see the devices easily, along with their data transfer rates. 

The second software update was more promising. I was able to update the main adapter (the one connected to the router), but for some reason, the software would not recognize the other adapters after the first one updated. The engineers are working on fixing this.

We are making some progress. It appears that the one that actually WAS updated is actually showing all green lights and has full throughput. With all 6 adapters plugged in, this one updated adapter was fixed and is now working normally.

The engineer working with me noted some inconsistencies in the software and the instructions that came with the software. I was able to update the firmware on the main adapter without being directly connected to the adapter (the adapter and my desktop are plugged into the router), and yet the instructions tell us to install the software with the adapter being directly connected to an Ethernet cable and directly connected to your computer.

More to come. I am NOT giving up on this. The engineer I am working with is good and wants to see this resolved. The software writers are in Taiwan, so we are at their mercy. If we can get the update to work on the rest of the adapters, we may be in business.

I am also expecting that once this is done, regular firmware updates will be made available for these units.

Message 35 of 47
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi pvdublo7, 

We appreciate your cooperation and patience working with us. I will also forward this update to the support team. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 36 of 47
ewanbotterill
Aspirant

I had 6 of the devices and gave up. 2 have been sent back to Amazon for refund. Sticking with 4 which seem to work OK, but not as advertised!

However, I would still like the software. Particularly to turn off the lights on the device. This capability used to be available on previous Netgear products as well as competitor products. I don't want a bedroom lit up like a christmas tree 24/7!

Ewan

Message 37 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

Hi Ewan,

I am waiting for a response from my support guy. We worked last Wednesday (9/19) on another firware update - and it BRICKED FOUR of my PLP2000's!!! This is the second firmware update that failed. I have made it extremely clear to them that they need to test SIX of these units on their side BEFORE they send a firmware update. I am NOT clear if they are doing this, or if they are just throwing out these hail mary firmware updates hoping it will work fine. 

Right now I have TWO working adapters - and I need SIX working!!! Driving me nuts, but I will stay the course. I asked that they send me six replacement units with the updated firware on them. I am awaiting their response to that.

Again - I will keep everyone updated as soon as I get some news.

Message 38 of 47
ewanbotterill
Aspirant

Any updates? I would like to check that the remaining 4 PLP2000's in my network are performing as designed, and to be able to switch off the lights...

Cheers

Ewan

Message 39 of 47
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ewanbotterill

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 40 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

Ewan - I hope you saw my last message before Netgear decided to delete it. 

Rather than deal with the issue of a manufacturer’s defect - and post the solution to this problem here, they apparently prefer to silence those of us who exposed the problem. Reminds me of how Hillary Clinton handled Benghazi.

Anyone who sees this, please let me know if you need me to re-post. 

Message 41 of 47
badduke
Tutor

Erf

i've the same problem, but i"ve missed your last post 😞

Message 42 of 47
badduke
Tutor

if i understand.

there is no problem for netgear?

my god.....

OK

amazon aswers i'm coming 🙂

Message 43 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

And Netgear wonders why they are getting crushed by the competition. My TPLink units are working perfectly. I have removed any Netgear product from my home.
Message 44 of 47
Aandr13
Initiate

pvdublo7 - I have had the same problem you have described - I can get four of these to work, but adding the 5th takes the whole thing down (and I need 6). Unfortunately, I had to spend a few frustrating days before coming to this conclusion on my own. Luckily, I found this thread to confirm my suspicions. 

You mentioned in your last post on 11/25/18 that your TPLink units are working perfectly. Can you confirm which model of TPLink units you are using and can you also confirm that they allow 6 devices to work? I'm over this with Negear, their technical support is worthless (as they won't even ackowledge this is a problem) and need a solution asap. It seems all of the competitors have the same general look and functionality and I am wary that they are all manufactured by the same company and all have the same limitations. I'm looking at TPLink Model TL-PA9020P at Amazon for $75.99 for two units. I would appreciate your help with this. Thank you.

Message 45 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

Yes you are right - the ones you are looking at on Amazon are correct.

For reference, here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H74VKZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The ones you referenced are the exact same as these - which I have SIX of them working PERFECTLY.Capture.JPG

Message 46 of 47
Aandr13
Initiate

Thank you for getting back so quickly. I ordered 6 of the TPLink and will be taking the Netgear back. Very disappointed with Netgear. 

Message 47 of 47
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 46 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7