× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLP2000 Pick-A-Plug light going from green to red over time

grizzogor
Aspirant

PLP2000 Pick-A-Plug light going from green to red over time

Hello Netgear community forums. I'm having some issues with my PLP2000 EoP adaptor.

When I got the device at first, I had no issues, and all lights were Green. But now, the Pick-a-Plug light has been going from green to amber, eventually down to red, which is unusable in my case. I have recently added a pair of PLP1200's to my EoP network to connect some game consoles and a living room smart TV, but only the original PLP2000 at my computer is having issues. Every time this happens, I have to unplug the EoP adaptor and plug it back in, which is in a hard to reach spot. I've tried to troubleshoot to no avail, so maybe the community can help out?

My EoP network consists of:

PLP2000: On the network switch connected to my router and my desktop computer running Windows 10.

PLP1200: Paired with the above EoP network, connected to a smart TV and a couple of game consoles with the help of a small network switch.

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet, PLP1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 6

Re: PLP2000 Pick-A-Plug light going from green to red over time

Can you clarify your layout?

Is there just the one PLP2000 plug connected to the router with the second PLP2000 and two PL1000 plugs paired to the router's PLP2000?

You followed these instructions to add the PL1000s?

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

It probably does not matter, but I have no idea what EoP means. It isnl't something that appears in any Netgear manuals for Powerline kit.

The behaviour of the the Pick-a-Plug light suggests something is going on on your mains network. I assume that don't have any fancy mains extension cables in there.

Message 2 of 6
grizzogor
Aspirant

Yes, the PLP2000 network was already in place between my router and computer, and I had added the PLP1200 pair to the PLP2000's network using those instuctions.

EoP is the "by-the-book" term for powerline networking, primarily found in CompTIA A+ material. It stands for Ethernet over Powerline.

Message 3 of 6

@grizzogor wrote:

EoP is the "by-the-book" term for powerline networking, primarily found in CompTIA A+ material. It stands for Ethernet over Powerline.

That tag is missing from all the Netgear documentation I have read. It just uses the Powerline label.

As a troubleshooting move, have you tried swapping plugs around? That might eliminate sockets and/or plugs.

One thing to investigate might be the status of the "Standby mode" setting.

Netgear seems to ship devices with that feature, but no way to turn it on or off, thanks to Netgear's failure to provide a utility to manage Powerline devices. This has been known to cause grief in the past.

The solution is to track down the ZyXel powerline utility and use that ti check if Standby mode is active. If it is, the plugs can go to sleep unbeknown to you.

Message 4 of 6
grizzogor
Aspirant

I've tried switching outlets from behind a storage cabinet to behind my PC. At first the Pick-A-Plug light was red, but then changed to amber. Doing a speedtest showed a good result, I think maybe the PLP2000 unit was overheating behind the cabinet? Not sure, but I'll reply back if there's any issues.

Before switching plugs, doing a speedtest while the PLP2000 unit was in red resulted in really high ping to local speedtest servers and really low speeds compared to the rest of my network.

Message 5 of 6

@grizzogor wrote:

I think maybe the PLP2000 unit was overheating behind the cabinet? Not sure, but I'll reply back if there's any issues.

Let us know how it works out.

By the way, Netgear cautions against using extension cables it, but my experience is that they do not interfere with the performance of powerline. Just don't use anything that offers to protect you from surges and stuff.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7