× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PLP2000 - one has three lights, other only two

bob4bowling
Aspirant

PLP2000 - one has three lights, other only two

I recently purchased a PLP2000 powerline kit. The devices pair correctly (both devices have pairing lights on and green). My hope is to be able to powerline output into a room in the back of the house, to a second router to broadcast a new wifi signal.

It appears that the devices can talk to each other appropriately, but that the second output device is not receiving data to be able to send to said router (brand new Netgear Nighthawk R6330).

Device A is plugged into the wall and has ethernet input from the Xfinity gateway modem-router. Device A has the ethernet light on and green (three lights on in total), so it appears to be receiving data from the modem-router.

Right now, Device B is plugged into the wall at an outlet adjacent to Device A (same room, same circuit) with an ethernet output to the router. Device B has the ethernet light off (only two lights on in total), so it appears not to be receiving data. The light does not change regardless if the router is plugged in or not.

I have tried resetting and re-pairing the powerline devices multiple times.
I have reset the router.
I have confirmed that the router can plug into the modem-router directly and give a Wifi signal with internet, so ruled the router equipment out as an issue.
I have tried many different outlets in the house. I am unable to plug both powerline devices into the same outlet because the device obscures the second outlet, but they are currently in adjacent outlets on the same wall.

I seem to be missing something and have scoured countless forums to try and resolve the issue. Does anyone have any ideas? If I cannot resolve this in the next two weeks I will be returning the equipment, sadly.

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 9

@bob4bowling wrote:

Right now, Device B is plugged into the wall at an outlet adjacent to Device A (same room, same circuit) with an ethernet output to the router. Device B has the ethernet light off (only two lights on in total), so it appears not to be receiving data.

The Ethernet LED will not come on if you do not have anything plugged into the Ethernet port.

Look at the bit in the manual LED Descriptions.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

Message 2 of 9
bob4bowling
Aspirant

Thanks, those manuals don't answer my question though. As I wrote, I do have something plugged into the ethernet on the Device B (output), it's the Nighthawk router.

On a whim I tried swapping the two devices so that Device B (with the two lights) connected to the modem-router and Device A was outputting to the new, second router. Device B is still only showing the two lights, (and Device A has three!) so I'm left to assume the equipment is faulty. Alas.

Thank you for the thoughts.

Message 3 of 9

@bob4bowling wrote:

Thanks, those manuals don't answer my question though. As I wrote, I do have something plugged into the ethernet on the Device B (output), it's the Nighthawk router.

Your description was not at all clear to me. As I read it, you seem to have both plugs connected to routers.

Diagrams always help,

Message 4 of 9
R_Seattle
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue trying to get my powerline up and running so I could connect my Nighthawk AC3200.  So I moved the second unit to the same room same circuit as the first. The one plugged into the xfinity modem has 3 greens - the second one has 2 greens and is missing the ethernet light so my assumption is that it is not receiving data. This is confirmed by any device I ethernet into it.  When I contacted NetGear support, their solution was to continually factory reset the devices - which I already had done but did anyway.  When that didn't work, their solution was to email me the user manual - which I had already downloaded.   What do I do? There are only a few steps and none of them are working.

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 5 of 9

What happens when you swap the plugs around?

There is no difference between the "host" and "guest" plugs. They are interchangeable.

Take the one that isn't connected to the modem and connect it to the modem.

What do the lights look like now?

I assume that you have plugged something into the LAN port of the "remote" plug. The LAN LED will not come on unless something is connected and active.

Message 6 of 9
R_Seattle
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.  I hadn't thought of swtiching them but did as you recommended and got the same result.  And yes, I have a working device ( laptop ) plugged into the remote device.  Will try a different device as well.

Message 7 of 9
R_Seattle
Aspirant

Addtionally, after a minute, the two units cycled.  Now the one plugged into the modem is missing the Pick-a-plug light, the remote unit has a slow blink on the power LED. I can try to recyle both units to see if they can return to the former situation.

Message 8 of 9

@R_Seattle wrote:

I hadn't thought of swtiching them but did as you recommended and got the same result. 

I'm surprised that you had not tried that. After all, it was an important part of the troubleshooting that @bob4bowling tried.

What was "the same result"?

All lights on at the modem plug? Only two on the remote plug?

If so, that suggests to me that there is nothing wrong with the plugs.

If the LAN bit of one of the plugs was bust, then the LAN LED would not light up on that plug wherever you put it.

It is hard to follow what is going on here, especially as you have jumped in on the end of an existing discussion. It seems that you hadn't read and tried the tests that @bob4bowling went through. Makes it kind of hard to know what is happening at your end.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7