× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLW 1000v2 How to set up to use as a WIFI Extender

angusc
Aspirant

PLW 1000v2 How to set up to use as a WIFI Extender

Hi There,

I recently purchased a CPL WiFi 1000 starter kit which consists of 1 x PLP1000 and 2 x PLW1000v2 Wifi units.  I purchsed this set to allow me to extend my existing WIFI signal round the house. But now when I tried to set up I can only see the option of additional networks rather than being able to extend my existing router wifi.  (Unlike my Devolo dLAN 500's that can be used as repeaters or additional wifi access points).

Now after further research I see that NetGear sells "Wifi Extenders" as a separate product, so is this the reason that the PLW1000's cant be set up as Extenders?  Is there anyway to use these as I had hoped (to seamlessly extend my original wifi SSD) by setup or flashing another firmware on to them?

Looking forward to a possible solution if it exists.

Thanx & regards

angusc

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 4

Re: PLW 1000v2 How to set up to use as a WIFI Extender

What are you trying to do? Get the wifi to the farthest reaches of your property?

The PLW1000v2 can do that. It is just a Powerline device with an access point built in.

There is a manual for the PLW1000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> PLW1000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

You can set the things up and go in and change the SSID to whatever you like.

I don't use the same SSIDs for plugs and router because that can confuse some wifi clients. I expect them to switch to the best wifi source on the network. Using the same SSID can confuse things as the clients try to work out which source to use.

Standalone access points would have the same issue.

The seamless bit comes with the wifi clients.

Message 2 of 4
angusc
Aspirant

Thanx for your reply, yes I wanted to extend the SAME wifi SSD out to the furthest part of my house where currently the signal is too weak.  In another place I had purchased the Devolo wifi/power line products and they had the option to create a new network or extend the existing one.  Here in France I purchased the Netgear powerline and 2 x wifi units thinking that I would be able to do the same thing.  As you highlight, Im concerned to just rename one of the WIFI adaptors as the same SSD as this causes conflicts with clients that are half way between the router and the furthest point in the house where the NetGear Wifi unit would be plugged in.

Even having the Netgear PLP1000 connected to my router and then the 2 PLW1000 plugged in at different points around the house wouldn't help either as both the WIFI extenders have their own network SSD so just more complicated WIFI network.

I would like these Wifi units (PLW1000v2) to mirror the existing network from my Router (via the PLP1000 through the electrical wiring of my house). I can see that it is probably not possible with the out of the box firmware. So that lead me to ask if there was anyway to change the firmware to make them both act like the Netgear Wifi Extenders.

Message 3 of 4

@angusc wrote

I would like these Wifi units (PLW1000v2) to mirror the existing network from my Router (via the PLP1000 through the electrical wiring of my house).

I don't know what you mean by "mirror".

If you just want them to have the same SSID, go into the browser interface for each plug and set the SSID to what you want.

There is a Powerline User Manual somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> PLW1010v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

As you already have the plugs operating with different SSIDs, you should be able to determine their IP addresses. Point a browser at those addresses and you should see the control interface for the plugs.

My plugs also show in the network in Windows. Form there I can "right click" them and "View device web page".

Yet another way into the plugs is to look at the network map in the desktop genie.

@angusc wrote:

So that lead me to ask if there was anyway to change the firmware to make them both act like the Netgear Wifi Extenders.

Netgear extenders also set themselves up with the _EXT addition to the SSID, so they are just like powerline access points.

My guess is that Netgear does this for a reason.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7