× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PLW 1010 Essential Edition - adding an adapter

ajax010
Aspirant

PLW 1010 Essential Edition - adding an adapter

I have been using the above successfully without any problems for some time.

I decided I needed to add a further adapter so purchased an additional kit.

I have followed the instructions in terms of using the security buttons.

First, it appeared I had successfully added an adapter (although the pick a plug in the room I needed was red, but my printer etc connected no problem)

Then, my original adapter lost all internet connection, and the pick a plug light had gone out.

Found an article here that suggested setting up all adapters in the same room and then moving them.

Did this, and the original adapter successfully paired with the adapter connected to my router, and the new (previously paired) adapter lost its pick a plug light.

I have returned the original adapter to its original location, and it is back to usual sevice (with a green pick a plug LED as before).

What am I doing wrong? It seems that I cannot connect both adapters at the same time, even though there are clear instructions about adding an adapter on the support pages and in the manual.

PS - is there a way of doing what I need to do from the mywifiext.net software? If I plug in the second adapter would it show up in the software?

Help, please?

Message 1 of 7

Are these the instructions you followed?

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network

Did you add the new plugs one at a time?

Doing this nearby and moving the new plug is a good tactic.

Message 2 of 7
ajax010
Aspirant

Yes, those are the instructions I used, and yes, I added the new plug to an existing bundled pair..

I guess I can try again with the two adapter next to one another.

If it will not work, can I use the 2 pairs (since Netgear only sell the bundles) separately on the same house power network?

Message 3 of 7
ajax010
Aspirant

I have followed the instructions (again) and both adapters now appear to be synced to the adapter plugged into the router.

BUT if I plug in the first adapter (2 floors away) it connects (green Pick a plug light) and everything is fine....

UNTIL I plug in the second adapter (1 floor away), which connects (red plug in light) at which point the fiurst adapter loses its connection back to the router.

The two adapters will not both work at the same time, even though instructions say they should.

Any more advice, please?

Message 4 of 7

Sounds like a wiring issue to me.

I have seen nothing like that in the mad mixture of plugs that I have connected together.

Message 5 of 7
ajax010
Aspirant

Thank you for your helpful reply.

I moved the second adapter to a different room, and in now works fine (and doesn't "turn off" the other adapter)!

I will have my electrcian check out the originally intended room in case there is indeed a wiring issue (not that there has been any previous indication of this) and the room was only re-wired a few months ago.

Message 6 of 7

@ajax010 wrote:

I moved the second adapter to a different room, and in now works fine (and doesn't "turn off" the other adapter)!

Good research.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7