× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLW1000 Extend Router WiFi for Apple Phone “Mobile WiFi” connectivity

Jon-L
Aspirant

PLW1000 Extend Router WiFi for Apple Phone “Mobile WiFi” connectivity

I have a rural property
My Apple phones antenna is unable to communicate with the closest cell tower.
The only building on the 11 acre property is a steel shed.
I have a cellular modem router located inside the shed, which is able to communicate with the distant cell tower via two 4G antenna’s mounted on the shed roof.
To make or receive calls, I set my Apple iPhone to “mobile WiFi”.
That works fine when I’m inside the shed, but my mobile router can’t pass WiFi through the steel wall to the outside of the shed.

I’m looking to resolve the issue by adding. PWL1000 and placing the WiFi component at a power point outside the shed.

I need to seamless phone connection whilst walking between the inside of the shed (cellular modem router WiFi) and outside of the shed (PWL1000 WiFi)

I seem to think this will require the PWL1000 to be set as the same said and password.

Is this correct?
Or can someone describe to best setup
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Jon-L
Aspirant

Re: PLW1000 Extend Router WiFi for Apple Phone “Mobile WiFi” connectivity

Hey, thanks MichaelK
After investigating and learning oboist “Mesh Systems” I agree that mesh systems look perfectly tailored to my needs of a single broadly expanded network.

So now looking at Netgears:
A) Nighthawk mesh system6
B) AXE11000 WiFi Mesh System (RBKE963)

Thanks for guiding me towards the Mesh System as the correct network solution

JonL

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Jon-L
Aspirant

Following on:
I haven’t purchased the PWL1000 yet.
I’simply want to make sure the PWL1000 is the right product. By all accounts, it appears to be.
My network skills are only at the “follow these steps” level.
I need to avoid having my “mobile WiFi” call disrupted went I move from one side of the steel wall to the other.

I am also contemplating purchasing some property equipment that can be controlled from my phone, but to work the equipment needs to be connect to the same network as my phone, which is connected to me cellular modem router.

Message 2 of 4

@Jon-L wrote:

I’m looking to resolve the issue by adding. PWL1000 and placing the WiFi component at a power point outside the shed.

You can set up the access point plug as you like. But it may not provide the "seamless phone connection" that you want. For that you'd need a Mesh system. Even with the same SSID and password, wifi clients will have to negotiate a fresh connection during the handover from one source to the other.

The PLW1000 is a Powerline plug. It just provides an Ethernet connection between two plugs.You can also use a non-wifi remote plug to feed a conventional wifi access point. In that way you could use a more capable AP.

Message 3 of 4
Jon-L
Aspirant

Hey, thanks MichaelK
After investigating and learning oboist “Mesh Systems” I agree that mesh systems look perfectly tailored to my needs of a single broadly expanded network.

So now looking at Netgears:
A) Nighthawk mesh system6
B) AXE11000 WiFi Mesh System (RBKE963)

Thanks for guiding me towards the Mesh System as the correct network solution

JonL
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements