× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLW1000 PickAPlug goes red after a few days

Raz_Khan
Follower

PLW1000 PickAPlug goes red after a few days

Hi - I installed the PLW1000 recently. The router is 2 floors up from the place where I located the wifi extender. All worked well, with a green PickAPlug light, and wifi speed of 89Mbps on the 5G setting. All very good.

A few days later the wifi stopped working and the PaPlug light was now red, as was the light on the unit connected to the router. I tried resetting, reinstalling etc. but it did not go green. I sent it back to Amazon for a replacement.

The new kit also worked well for 2 days, then the light turned red. Again, I've done resets on both units.

I don't understand why this seems to work fine and then just stops working. The house power wiring doesn't change does it?

I'm thinking of giving up and trying another brand, but just wondered if anyone can help explain how to fix this please?

I'm UK based. The router is a Virgin Media Vivid with 200Mbps connection. My PC and the PL1000 are the only items connected to it. The wifi extender is also connected by ethernet cable to my Virgin cable TV box.

The wifi from the router continues to work fine.

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.

Model: PLW1010|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: PLW1000 PickAPlug goes red after a few days

You can check the health of the plugs by moving the "remote" one to a socket near to the "host" plug and the router. If it behaves normally again, then I would look at the mains circuit for something that might be injecting interference to the loop.

You don't need to reset the plugs when you move them, just put them nearer to each other.

Netgear advises not using extension leads with powerline plugs. Most people find that this is not necessary, but "smart" extension blocks with surge protection may not be a good idea.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: PLW1000 PickAPlug goes red after a few days

You can check the health of the plugs by moving the "remote" one to a socket near to the "host" plug and the router. If it behaves normally again, then I would look at the mains circuit for something that might be injecting interference to the loop.

You don't need to reset the plugs when you move them, just put them nearer to each other.

Netgear advises not using extension leads with powerline plugs. Most people find that this is not necessary, but "smart" extension blocks with surge protection may not be a good idea.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7