× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLW1000 installation question

Not-a-techie
Aspirant

PLW1000 installation question

I am confused about the set up instructions - I purchased 2 PLW1000s to get internet in two outbuildings on our property. With the units plugged in we can now access the Internet, by selecting our original router ID from the list of available wireless access, but when selecting our original router ID from the list of available wireless access within our home, we get a message that states, "cannot connect to the Internet"

My questions are:

1. When selecting the wireless access from within our house, do I select our original router name OR is there a new name associated with the Netgear PLW1000s, listed in the avaialble wi-fi-list?

2. When selecting the wireless access from our outbuildings, using the PLW1000s, do I select our original router name OR is there a new name associated with the Netgear PLW1000s?

3. If I am supposed to select Netgear PLW1000 from the wi-fi list, where do I get the security code?

4. If I am supposed to select Netgear PLW1000S units from the wi-fi list, is there a way to group them to share the same password?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/assistance!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: PLW1000 installation question

1. When selecting the wireless access from within our house, do I select our original router name OR is there a new name associated with the Netgear PLW1000s, listed in the avaialble wi-fi-list?

Can you see more than one SSID?

Have you tried using WPS to connect devices to the Powerline device? (See page 9 of the manual.)

PLW1000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

If you have the same SSID for your router and for the powerline devices (you don't say), you may confuse things that are trying to connect. That is why the usual advice is to use different SSIDs. You can read how to go about this on page 11 of the manual.

Wifi devices will usually try to connect to the strongest signal in the vicinity. They usually remember the SSID and password. That is one reason why using the same SSID and password can cionfuse devices.

By the way, have you persuaded all four Powerline devices to talk to each other? (I assume that you bought two pairs.) If not then this might be useful:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It is also described on page 10 of the manual.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies

Can you see more than one SSID?

Have you tried using WPS to connect devices to the Powerline device? (See page 9 of the manual.)

PLW1000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

If you have the same SSID for your router and for the powerline devices (you don't say), you may confuse things that are trying to connect. That is why the usual advice is to use different SSIDs. You can read how to go about this on page 11 of the manual.

Wifi devices will usually try to connect to the strongest signal in the vicinity. They usually remember the SSID and password. That is one reason why using the same SSID and password can cionfuse devices.

By the way, have you persuaded all four Powerline devices to talk to each other? (I assume that you bought two pairs.) If not then this might be useful:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It is also described on page 10 of the manual.

Message 2 of 3
Not-a-techie
Aspirant

I just wanted to say thank you for your assistance.  I guess my confusion was which SSID I was supposed to connect to.  Your response helped and I was able to get everything up and running.  So thanks again and have a lovely day!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7