× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLW1000 slow internet speeds

jsmpost
Aspirant

PLW1000 slow internet speeds

I'm getting very slow internet speeds from my Powerline both wifi and Ethernet.

Equipment:

Netgear AC1750 Wifi Cable Modem Router

Xfinity 400mbps internet

PNW1000v2 Wifi

Speed tests:

- 420mbps consistently in the living room via wifi from the AC1750

- 140mbps from the wifi via PNW1000 in the living room.

- 78 mbps in my office via AC1750 wifi.

- Only 49mbps in my office via the PNW1000, both wifi and ethernet.

Tested using iPhone, tablet (Windows 10) and laptop (Windows 10)

Verified speeds via Google and Speedtest.net

Used wifi analyzer to adjust channels

Used multiple outlets in both rooms in testing speed

Suggestions?

Much appreciated

Message 1 of 6

Re: PLW1000 slow internet speeds

@jsmpost wrote:

Equipment:

Netgear AC1750 Wifi Cable Modem Router

Which AC1750 is this? That denotes a wifi speed rather than a model number.

C6300?

I assume that PNW1000 should be PLW1000?

Your issue seems to be about the wifi. Remember, the more links there are in the chain, the slower the connection will be. Too much negotiating and two-way traffic going on to get maximum speeds.

How are you getting powerline wifi in two places? Most bundles have just a single wifi access point. That should be at the "remote" end of the network, with the "host" plug connected to the router.

Then there is the quality of the main circuit. Yet another factor that will prevent you from getting the theoretical top speeds.

Message 2 of 6
jsmpost
Aspirant

Thanks for the response Michael.

Correct, C6300. And yes, PLW1000.

Re: multiple locations; only one receiver, I just moved it from one room to another to test speeds.
Multiple devices; Only myself at home during the test so phone and computer only items connected. In speaking with Netgear they didn’t believe that was a contributor.
WiFi and Ethernet cable; I also plugged directly into the receiver via Ethernet cable with no change in speed.

Netgear believed it was the device so I exchanged for a new one. Unfortunately, exact same results.

My guess is there is an issue at the modem where the extender is not receiving full speeds (400mbps). I’ve tried different Ethernet cords but nothing changes.

Thoughts?
Thanks again.

Message 3 of 6

@jsmpost wrote:

My guess is there is an issue at the modem where the extender is not receiving full speeds (400mbps). I’ve tried different Ethernet cords but nothing changes.

That makes sense. Or rather, I can understand the reasoning.

Unfortunately, we have no other wired speed to compare it with. If you had a laptop wired to the C6300 and it got 400 Mbps, that would finger the powerline plug.

I have seen too many reports here is people complaining that they don't get what they pay for. Sometimes this is down to them simply not understanding that ancient old wifi kit will never get the same speed as their internet connection. Then there are the people with 2.4GHz wifi devices who wonder why they can't see 5GHz SSIDs on them.

One thing we can rule out is that the LAN on early powerline plugs was limited to 100 Mbps.

Again a lot of people complain that they don't get the right internet speeds, only to find that the are using old stuff – routers, modems and so one – with LAN ports stuck on 100 BASE-Tx, which is slower than a lot of modern internet links. In your case everything seems to be 1000BASE-Tx. I would not expect powerline to deliver that, but it should be better than you see.

Do the speeds you get restrict you in any way? Or do you just want to see how fast it will go?

Message 4 of 6
jsmpost
Aspirant

Again, thank you Michael.

I have plugged my laptop directly into the modem and it kicks out 500+ mbps.

I agree with the misled expectation of speed but i’m now able to push my wireless (direct from the modem) up to 140 while the extender remains in the 70 range.

The challenge i have is live tv and streaming Netflix/Amazon movies. Gets choppy if I cant keep a strong signal. At 140mbps i’m Good...but I have issues with fluctuating speeds (especially if the door to my office is closed.)

Netgear says the speed at the receiver should be near that of the modem (I.e. 400mbps). I’ve never used a Powerline product so can’t comment on that accuracy.

Thanks again.
Message 5 of 6

@jsmpost wrote:
The challenge i have is live tv and streaming Netflix/Amazon movies. Gets choppy if I cant keep a strong signal. At 140mbps i’m Good...but I have issues with fluctuating speeds (especially if the door to my office is closed.)

I get flicker free streaming from Amazon and others with an internet service that runs at around 50 Mbps.

But I would never do this on wifi. Wifi works but it is a pain to set up and is less reliable than powerline.

That is why I got powerline. And mine is limited to 100 Mbps. Then again, I don't do HD video.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7