× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PLW1000 suddenly stopped providing internet

KateStitch
Tutor

PLW1000 suddenly stopped providing internet

I have a laptop set up in a detached building on our property. The PowerlineV2 box is connected via ethernet to our Xfinity router. The adapter in our garage to serve as a bridge. I was getting a strong internet signal until yesterday.

In hopes of troubleshooting, I unplugged the adapter and plugged it back in. After a few seconds, the adapter's Ethernet light turned green, the pick-a-plug light turned green a few seconds later, and finally the wireless signal button turned blue. But thenpick-a-plug light turned off. Is this supposed to happen or should it be a steady green (or yellow or red) depending on which outlet it's in?

Bottom line is, my laptop (Lenovo running Windows 10) is no longer getting the signal. I know the wireless signal from Xfinity is working because my laptop is at least able to get a very weak signal. What would you suggest I try to get the internet signal to work again? Thanks!

Model: PLPW1000|Powerline 1000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

@KateStitch wrote:

Should I do a factory re-set and start all over?

That would seem to be the only option.

You could try plugging the laptop into the plug. If it has a LAN port, of course.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies

@KateStitch wrote:

But thenpick-a-plug light turned off. Is this supposed to happen or should it be a steady green (or yellow or red) depending on which outlet it's in?

Not in my experience.

What happens if you have the "remote" plug in a socket alongside the router?

Is the Lenovo connected to the remote plug by wifi or wired?

The Ethernet LAN will not light up if there is nothing plugged into the LAN port.

Message 2 of 5
KateStitch
Tutor

When I move the adapter into the same room, near the location of the router, the same thing happens just as it does elsewhere in our house and in our detached garage (where it was originally working just fine). I plug in the adapter and after a few seconds the Power LED turns green. A few seconds after that, the Pick-a-Plug light turns green and stays on. A few seconds after that, the WiFi LED comes on. And then the Pick-a-Plug light turns off. During the several seconds when the Pick-a-Plug light is on, it is a steady green and doesn't flicker. I have never seen the color red or amber.

My laptop is not connected to the adapter via an ethernet cable.

Message 3 of 5

@KateStitch wrote:

That would seem to be the only option.

You could try plugging the laptop into the plug. If it has a LAN port, of course.

Message 4 of 5
KateStitch
Tutor

I decided to do a factory reset on both the main unit and the remote access unit. Plugged the primary unit back in, and then relocated the access unit closer to my laptop. Now, all 3 lights are illuminated and I have a strong signal. This is great! My "office" is in a detached barn/garage almost 100 feet from the router  location, and without my extender I was having to rely on my cellphone as a hot spot. So relieved!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7