× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLW1000 very slow

haniar
Follower

PLW1000 very slow

Hi,

I've had PLW1000 for some time and been happy with the product. I never bothered checking speeds as my ADSL was nowhere close to this. I have recently upgraded to a fibre to the home solution from hyperoptics and I am getting 150 Mbps by plugging the laptop through directly to the model using an Ethernet cable and testing against my ISP's speed test. 

When I use poweline, I am getting a green light on both ends (i.e. speed > 85Mbps) and when I look at PLW1000 status, both Tx and Rx speeds are over 130 Mbps. 

When I plug the same laptop by ethernet (same cable) to powerline, I get speeds of 25 Mbps. It does not make sense. I was expecting speeds >85 Mbps and ideall close to 130 Mbps but I am no where close.

Any ideas what could be causing this.

Thank you

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 3
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: PLW1000 very slow

Hi haniar, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Why are the actual data rates less from the stated data rates?

Every appliance on your electrical line generates noise, or interference, for Powerline transmission. While distance as some effect on line noise, the number of appliances and age of electrical wiring will have greater impact. The longer the distance and the greater the line noise, the less square footage you will be able to cover with the Powerline.

Environmental factors, Operational overhead, differences between different transport standards (UDP vs. TCP vs. WFT) and the way each standard optimizes the data overhead (typically for error handling).

Pick a plug is a technology that allows you to determine how fast your Powerline connection is - simply by looking at a multi-color LED on the front of the device. Green is the fastest possible connection. Yellow indicates a less than optimal connection. Red indicates that you might experience poor performance and should consider moving one of the devices to a different outlet.

Reference: https://kb.netgear.com/20233/Product-FAQ-Powerline-Adapters

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 3
junk2k2k
Aspirant

Re: PLW1000 very slow

Too bad, you bought into Netgear marketing gimick. I have a PLP2000 and I barely get 90MBPS instead of expected gigabyte speed. If you can return these adapters an dlook for alternative solution.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7