× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLW1000V2 SETUP - PASSWORD CHANGE

PLW1000V2 SETUP - PASSWORD CHANGE

I have a fully functional home network. I use a Motorola Arras cable modem / router which provides my access to the web. I have no problem accessing that device with my Android or laptop. I also have a Netgear N300 EX2700 WiFi extender which I can access and modify modify the SSID and password as per the instructions.

I have a PL1000v2 attached to the router by cable and plugged into the wall which connects to two PLW1000v2's. I can connect to them using the SSID and password on adapter.  Following instructions DOES NOT WORK.

:Laptop is running Win 10, so is desktop.  Notebook is running XP.  Android is Galaxy J7.

Model: PLW1010|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions

Re: PLW1000V2 SETUP - PASSWORD CHANGE

The wifi app I have been referring to is my&wifiext.&et.    When I first put that in the body of my text it generated an error message that said T"he message body contains my$wifiext.&et, which is not permitted in this community. Please remove this content before sending your post.".   I have finally gotten into the configuration.  I reset the PLW1000 to factory settings and installed from scratch.   I had to use my old xP notebook and cabled from it to the adapter.   I looked at a support document from when I first bought the devices and it said to use the ip address of the adapter rather than mywifiext in the browser.  Using the ip address gave back "couldn't locate address" but mywifiext did come up and using admin/password finally gave me Genie.  I tried that same thing with my Win 10 laptop and it failed.  So to recap, I must have changed one of the access point SSID's to Babylon_6 when I set it up originally.   The reset deleted Babylon_6 but it looks like I can change the access point names and passwords using Genie .  At this point I don't see that is necessary.  My two PLW's just connect to one Ring device each and the password for that is good enough for government work.

Just a note, that old XP computer was hardly ever used so any cache's were pretty much empty.  It ran Internet Explorer dark ages version and the wireless and network setups were also stone age.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies

I don't understand the issue. Take this bit:

@oldbutnotdead wrote:

I can connect to them using the SSID and password on adapter.  Following instructions DOES NOT WORK.

What does it mean? You can use the wifi on the  PLW1010 to connect to your network?

So, what does not work?

Unfortunately the phrase "does not work" could apply to many things so it doesn't help in diagnosing what might be going wrong.

Tell us what you are doing, what happens and what messages and errors you see.

Message 2 of 12

Thanks for the reply. Please excuse if I use wrong termanology. Not a wireless guy.
Let's start from scratch. What is not working is the Quick Start instructions under "Customize Your Network Settting." Since this Community will not allow me to use the name of the app in the instructions I will call it TheAPP. I will use the actual name of my nets and components. My cable router wifi modem has the SSID of Klingon Home World. The PLW1000v2 is NETGEAR45-5G_EXT and the accesspoint on that device is Babylon_6. All three of these items can be seen on my wireless capable laptop, Galaxy J7, and an older Win XT notebook. I can commect to all of them EXCEPT Babylon_6 because I have forgotten the password. I had to use PowerLINE adapters to set up my Ring units because of distance issues. Ring is totally operational as is a second PL1000v2 which I have a ROKU device attached to in a distant bedroom. Ring connects to the Babylon_6. The primary PL1000v2 is attached directly to the router by cable and plugged into the wall. BOTTOM LINE is EVERYTHING WORKS, except I CAN NOT CHANGE THE PASSWORD TO Babylon_6 following the directions.
Proceedure. I move the PLW1000v2 so that it is plugged into the wall less than 6 ft from both the router and the primary PL1000v2. I have also tried to use Galaxy and laptop near to the permanent location of the PLW1000v2. I have successfully connected to NETGEAR45-5G_EXT with each of my wireless capable devices. I have even tried to cable to it with those devices. The instructions say to go to a browser and bring up TheAPP. On numerous tries TheAPP will not connect. My non-wireless desktop will hit it but the message I receive is the desktop is not connected to the wireless network (NETGEAR45-5G_EXT). The messages I receive on the wireless devices is something like it is refusing connection.
I have also tried Genie and Orbi with no success.

Message 3 of 12

I still find it hard to understand what is happening here. At first we had very little information, now we have a pile of details, but most of it is probably irrelevant.

Is this the problem?

@oldbutnotdead wrote:

I can commect to all of them EXCEPT Babylon_6 because I have forgotten the password.

You can see the SSID Babylon_6 bit can't connect to it? Is that the SSID fo the PLW1000V2?

If it is a forgotten password, then reset the wifi device and set it up again from scratch.

The quick start guide tells you how to do that.

This bit is also not clear.

@oldbutnotdead wrote:

Let's start from scratch. What is not working is the Quick Start instructions under "Customize Your Network Settting."

Again "not working" is little help when trying to understand the problem.

What happens when you try?

Here's an other puzzling bit:

@oldbutnotdead wrote:

Since this Community will not allow me to use the name of the app in the instructions I will call it TheAPP.

What is this TheAPP?

The quick start guide tells you to use a web browser.

@oldbutnotdead wrote:

My non-wireless desktop will hit it but the message I receive is the desktop is not connected to the wireless network (NETGEAR45-5G_EXT). The messages I receive on the wireless devices is something like it is refusing connection.

That does not look like a problem with the wifi source, but with your wireless devices.

Message 4 of 12

Setting it up from scratch is most likely the solution.  On page 11 of the Quick Start guide is "Customize Your Network Settings".  You are supposed to open "www" "my" "wifiext" dot net.   That is the app I'm referring to but when I put it down as a complete url THIS app generates an error message saying I am not allowed to put that in my text in this Community.  I hope that is clear enough.  When I say IT DOES NOT WORK, that should be crystal clear.   The instruction say to navigage to the app and follow the directions.   Well those instuctions fail when you attempt to connet to that url in two OS's and two computers,   That kinda sorta means, it doesn't work as per the instructions provided by NETGEAR for the devicee install.

This AIN'T my first rodeo.  I've been installing wired networks, servers, databases and hardware for over 30 years.  Most of the time the instuctions work if you follow them correctly.  If I am missing something, it is because there is something not being explained properly. 

Message 5 of 12

@oldbutnotdead wrote:

When I say IT DOES NOT WORK, that should be crystal clear. 

Not at all clear. Do the wheels fall off your car? Does the fridge door open?

@oldbutnotdead wrote:

You are supposed to open "www" "my" "wifiext" dot net.   That is the app I'm referring to but when I put it down as a complete url THIS app generates an error message saying I am not allowed to put that in my text in this Community. 

You mean

www.mywifiext.net

You are entering it where?

What errors do you see?

Some browsers don't like that sort of address. But they usually throw up a meaningful error.

Sadly, I have never seen an error "IT DOES NOT WORK", especially in a browser. So I can only guess what you see.

@oldbutnotdead wrote:

This AIN'T my first rodeo. 

Really?

Message 6 of 12

I see we are not getting anywhere.   When these devices have to be replaced, it won't be with NETGEAR products.   I'm not the only one who has experienced this issue.  The only solution was to reset and start from scratch.  Tried that but  the hot spot SSID disappeared and the netext app still failed to execute the install.  My 30 years of experience tells me that MyWiFiEXT has flawed code and/or bad installation documentation.

Message 7 of 12

@oldbutnotdead wrote:

I see we are not getting anywhere.  

Hard to get anywhere when you have difficulty explaining what is going on at your end.

@oldbutnotdead wrote:

....MyWiFiEXT has flawed code and/or bad installation documentation.

MyWiFiEXT is much like routerlogin.net. It is a "pointer" that your devices should intercept when you feed that address into

a browser. The device then recognises that link as the pointer to take your browser to its default configuration address.

If someone changes the configuration on a device, they may break the link to that default address.The browser you are using should then throw up an error message of some sort.

When I hit that link I get the message:

"You are not connected to your extender's WiFi network."

That's easy to understand, because I don't have my powerline wifi device plugged in. Maybe I'll give it a whirl.

If that happens, it is because the device now has an address that it cannot translate and point in the right direction. The usual way around this is to work out the IP address that your device has adopted. Aim a browser at that address, and away you go.

Using pointers like that is a universal approach used by most makers of network equipment. tp-link, for example, uses http://tplinkplc.net. 

Without knowing what error messages you get when you aim a browser at

www.mywifiext.net

it is impossible to diagnose where things are going wrong at your end.

Does your 30 years' experience of wifi networks include finding this?

I can’t access www.mywifiext.net; what do I do? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 8 of 12

I have installed enterprise wide wired networks since the late 80"s to support GIS applications.  I wrote apps to function on them, trouble shot them, grew them to operate on the WWW.  I did not work with wireless because by that time my systems were operational and mature.  I connected and installed hundreds of users on Oracle and SQL Server databases using four servers in my last position.   I have performed help desk functions and have solved problems over the phone, email and in person.  Not only that I have written documentation on operation, installation and trouble shooting of apps and hardware.  What I do recognize is you are the type of individual that assumes the problem is always at the other end.  I told you what was going on and you are fixed on the issue is at my end.   The documentation for the PowerLine devices is p--s poor at best.   It has been obvious to me that the wifiext app connection is the problem.  I realized that it could be something at my end that could be the problem, BUT it was also obvious that the whatever that was or could be was not covered in the documentation.   That includes the Quick Start Guide, any and all downloads from the NetGear website and on YouTube.  The a brand spanking new install worked.  Definition of "worked" is that if you follow the directions the network will connect adapter to adapter for a wired network over power lines just like you laid in a cable.  The wireless access point  on the PLW1000 would function to connect wireless devices.  When you follow the instructions to modify the wireless access point it DOES NOT WORK.   That means you can not establish a new or modified connection.   Why???  That d--n wifi app can not connect and no information is provided by NetGear on why it won't connect other than an error message that it either can't find the app or can't connect to it.

Message 9 of 12

@oldbutnotdead wrote:

That d--n wifi app can not connect and no information is provided by NetGear on why it won't connect other than an error message that it either can't find the app or can't connect to it.

I still have no idea what you mean by "wifi app". There is no wifi app that works with powerline devices.

After my last message, I went and recommissioned my powerline wifi device.

I followed the usual instructions using a browser and it worked just fine.

I even maneged to get in with

www.mywifiext.net

But that was before I changed the settings. After that I used the IP address. Worked perfectly.

But with minimal details of what you are doing and what the messages are it is impossible to go any further with your setup.

Your latest message merely tout tour impressive credentials, but add no new information. although the lack off formatting makes it hard to read.

The documentation for Powerline is hopeless. Netgear's details are also p[ppr. BUt someone with your experience of networking should be able to work out what to do.

@oldbutnotdead wrote:

What I do recognize is you are the type of individual that assumes the problem is always at the other end. 

Mostly because that is the case at least 99 per cent of the time. This is especially true when people turn up boasting of many years' experience. They assume that their past experience is foolproof. Er, not always.

Once again, your description of events at your end is poor. You seem to be here mostly to moan and groan. But I will throw in a few more pointers that might get you a bit further on in your quest, if., that is, you are prepared to climb down off your high horse and accept help that may not fit in with your hard earned understanding of powerline networks.

As I said, there is no wifi app for Netgear's powerline devices. You can use the browser on your mobile. But if you have a desktop then the old Netgear Powerline Utility can help.

You can find it here:

XWN5001 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

It wasn't designed for your device but it might help.

You could also search for Powerline apps that support other brands. These can also  help. The ZyXel app is useful for disabling power saving on plugs. That can let them go to sleep when you donlt ant them to

Another useful tool is the desktop genie for Windows/Macs.

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

You may have to dismiss an annoying pop-up that tries to push a mobile app down your throat.

This genie has a tab to show Powerline networks. Right click on the device and you should be able to get at the properties of your Powerline AP. At least, that's how it works here. Given your reluctance to answer basic questions, I have no idea what you have changed in your system that could get in the way.

Message 10 of 12

The wifi app I have been referring to is my&wifiext.&et.    When I first put that in the body of my text it generated an error message that said T"he message body contains my$wifiext.&et, which is not permitted in this community. Please remove this content before sending your post.".   I have finally gotten into the configuration.  I reset the PLW1000 to factory settings and installed from scratch.   I had to use my old xP notebook and cabled from it to the adapter.   I looked at a support document from when I first bought the devices and it said to use the ip address of the adapter rather than mywifiext in the browser.  Using the ip address gave back "couldn't locate address" but mywifiext did come up and using admin/password finally gave me Genie.  I tried that same thing with my Win 10 laptop and it failed.  So to recap, I must have changed one of the access point SSID's to Babylon_6 when I set it up originally.   The reset deleted Babylon_6 but it looks like I can change the access point names and passwords using Genie .  At this point I don't see that is necessary.  My two PLW's just connect to one Ring device each and the password for that is good enough for government work.

Just a note, that old XP computer was hardly ever used so any cache's were pretty much empty.  It ran Internet Explorer dark ages version and the wireless and network setups were also stone age.

Message 11 of 12

@oldbutnotdead wrote:

The wifi app I have been referring to is my&wifiext.&et.    

That is not a wifi app.

Not much point in turning up here with questions if you won't follow the answers. But you know best.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7