× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLW1000v2 has no ethernet connection in PLP2000 network

dxdana
Aspirant

PLW1000v2 has no ethernet connection in PLP2000 network

Hi,

I have a huge problem with a PLW1000v2 adapter connecting to the already existing and secured network of PLP2000 adapters!

Since the first one cannot connect to the existing ethernet network I cannot configure that thing as well.

It just doesn't work no matter what I do! I went all the steps from the quick start pamplet back and forth, even with the help of a tech on the phone, and nada! The second tech was talking about problems with my router, even though the first three PLP2000s work perfectly fine. And of course those two models are compatible with each other!!! (I asked the netgear support before buying)

Has anybody experienced that kind of problems?!

If it is the router, how can I configure it?

PS: I don't want nobody to work in my private!!! system no matter how friendly the tech is! 

A detailed manual would be a greate thing for such purposes!!!  Even some hint notations would be a huge help!!!

Thanks in advance.

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
dxdana
Aspirant

Re: PLW1000v2 has no ethernet connection in PLP2000 network

🙂 Yes, me too. Thanks again.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies

How many plugs do you have in total?

There is a long running "discussion" around here among people who have tried to get up to six, I think it is.

I assume that you are adding the new plugs in the specified manner:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

I disagree with the advice in the quick start guide "Plug the adapter into a wall outlet where you want to add Internet access."

I find it easier to set them up in close proximity and then to move the new plug to where I want the internet access.

@dxdana wrote:

A detailed manual would be a greate thing for such purposes!!!  Even some hint notations would be a huge help!!!

There is a generic Powerline User Manual somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> PLW1010v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Not that it adds much.

It would also be nice to have a decent software utility but Netgear seems to have left it to the likes of ZyXel to do that.

Message 2 of 11
dxdana
Aspirant

3 PLP2000 adapters are already running and working perfectly together.

And Yes, I installed all the adapters next to the router.

Neither the quick start nor the documetation are helpful in this case.

@dxdana wrote:

A description on how to handle the router settings is needed here!

Message 3 of 11

@dxdana wrote:

A description on how to handle the router settings is needed here!

There is nothing to "handle" on the router. It just manages LAN traffic.

Is it just the wifi plug that refuses to play ball?

Message 4 of 11
dxdana
Aspirant

Well, Yes, my opinion but not the tech person's who offered to configure my router remotely. Which of course is not an option!!! 

And Yes, it seems that the PLW1000v2 model just not working with the existing PLP2000s.

Message 5 of 11
dxdana
Aspirant

So my big question to the tech support is:

Is it just this adapter?

Can I buy a new one which should work without any problems?

Or is it really the case that the PLW1000v2 model is not compatible with the PLP2000 model?!?!?

A clear and honest answer is enough and safes a lot of irritation.

Message 6 of 11

I have successfully mixed and matched different Powerline plugs, including a wifi plug. It is hard to know where it goes wrong for you.

At the moment, I have a PL1000 connected to the router. At the "remote" end I have another PL1000 that feeds an Orbi router that is in access point mode.

The network also happily accommodates an XWN5001. I did nothing special to get that to work. Just the usual button pressing to introduce it to the network. It should not matter which plug you use to add the wifi plug to the network. So it might be worth starting the process with one of your "guest" plugs.

If you haven't tracked it down already, the ZyXel Powerline utility is useful. It has something that is woefully absent from Netgear's stuff, a way of switching off "sleep".

You can even use Netgear's desktop genie to configure Powerline devices. Tell it to show the Network Map and then pick the Powerline button. (It is slow.) There's not a lot you can do, but it will show if the network contains the plugs you have added.

Message 7 of 11

I have seen no suggestion that those two will not work together. They are AV standard. They should even work with different makes.

I should have added, that you will see no sign of LAN activity on a remote plug until you plug something into the LAN port. But that does not prevent the wifi bit from working.

I mention that because from time to time people turn up here saying "the plug isn't working because the LAN light has not come on". Tell them to plug in something and they reel back in amazement when the LED comes on.

Message 8 of 11
dxdana
Aspirant

Made a new factory reset on the PLW, created a new key in the secured PLP network and suddently i have internet connection over the PLW.

Same steps that I did yesterday over and over.  I don't understand it.

Well at least it works!

Thank You for your supportive suggestions @michaelkenward!

You saved the plugs from beeing brought back to the store. 🙂

Message 9 of 11

Anyone would think this IT stuff was supposed to follow the rules of logical.

Glad you got there in the end.

Message 10 of 11
dxdana
Aspirant

🙂 Yes, me too. Thanks again.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation