× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PWL1000v2 DNS Issues

Gemmy51
Follower

PWL1000v2 DNS Issues

I am having issues with my Netgear PWL1000v2. Occasionally, the powerline will be unresponsive, not allowing my computer (which is connected through ethernet, not the WiFi option) to connect fully to websites. By this, I mean if I go to Youtube for example, everything will load besides video thumbnails in the recommended videos and the video itself I'm trying to watch. I have done every single troubleshooting thing available for my computer, including completely uninstalling all my network drivers and rebooting for my system to reinstall them and I have had my ISP replace both my modem and router. At first, I believed this issue to be with my computer, however, I am able to connect to the router just fine, whereas the powerline gives me issues. My call today to NETGEAR was asking about the settings in the GUI of the Powerline, and the "Technical Support Expert" instead kept giving me a run around about factory resetting my product, something I have done about 3 times now. Upon complying with her request, she asks me if my internet is working after she walked me through factory resetting it for the fourth time. Previously I had explained to her that my internet at the moment is working just fine, however, there will be times when it cuts out. I have diagnosed this issue on my computer to be a "Dynamic key change did not succeed within configured time" issue, which is not available if I do not connect through my powerline. Upon hearing this (AGAIN), the "Technical Support Expert" decided that she didn't want to troubleshoot this deep of an issue and gave me a runaround about how my placement of the device can have issues. I fully understand this and have tested the device in areas where the Powerline is on the same circuit and not on the same circuit, however, the problem still persists either way. I firmly believe there can be some settings that need to be changed that can fix communication with my Powerline and my router (which is NETGEAR as well) to get this to work properly. Unfortunately, I cannot find any documentation on this issue and the "Technical Support Expert" does not want to help either. I have never had such a bad experience with a "Technical Support Expert" until today and am completely disgusted. The agent was polite but did not want to deal with my issues. If you would like to have a real "Technical Support Expert" call me who is knowledgeable on the PWL1000v2 device's GUI and the R6300v2's GUI (my current router), I would greatly appreciate it. 

^

This is a copy and paste from the additional comments section on the survey of my call today. I figured I would post it on the community board to look for help here.

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: PWL1000v2 DNS Issues

@Gemmy51 wrote:

This is a copy and paste from the additional comments section on the survey of my call today. I figured I would post it on the community board to look for help here.

I'm afraid the cut-and-past job, with no paragraphs and a solid block of text, made the original message impossible for my aged brain to read. Does this capture the technical stuff?

@Gemmy51 wrote:

I am having issues with my Netgear PWL1000v2. Occasionally, the powerline will be unresponsive, not allowing my computer (which is connected through ethernet, not the WiFi option) to connect fully to websites.

@Gemmy51 wrote:

Previously I had explained to her that my internet at the moment is working just fine, however, there will be times when it cuts out. I have diagnosed this issue on my computer to be a "Dynamic key change did not succeed within configured time" issue, which is not available if I do not connect through my powerline.

When the network it becomes unresponsive how do you bring it back to life?

Can you access other places on your own network? (In other words is it an Internet issue of a network problem?)

Are you saying that when the Internet cuts out, it is the  PWL1000v2 that is the cause?

Powerline devices don't really get involved in anything of a DNS nature. That's down to the router. So it is hard to see how that could be the problem.

When these events happen, have you tried using other devices? Something wifi for example? That would confirm that the plug is the problem rather than something more general.

Forgive me if the answers to these questions are buried in your text. Like I said, it is hard to follow.

Oh, and what's the modem involved here? The R6300v2 is a router so it has to get its Internet from something else.

You have my sympathies on grappling with support. I hope they didn't extract money from you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies

@Gemmy51 wrote:

I'm afraid the cut-and-past job, with no paragraphs and a solid block of text, made the original message impossible for my aged brain to read. Does this capture the technical stuff?

@Gemmy51 wrote:

I am having issues with my Netgear PWL1000v2. Occasionally, the powerline will be unresponsive, not allowing my computer (which is connected through ethernet, not the WiFi option) to connect fully to websites.

@Gemmy51 wrote:

Previously I had explained to her that my internet at the moment is working just fine, however, there will be times when it cuts out. I have diagnosed this issue on my computer to be a "Dynamic key change did not succeed within configured time" issue, which is not available if I do not connect through my powerline.

When the network it becomes unresponsive how do you bring it back to life?

Can you access other places on your own network? (In other words is it an Internet issue of a network problem?)

Are you saying that when the Internet cuts out, it is the  PWL1000v2 that is the cause?

Powerline devices don't really get involved in anything of a DNS nature. That's down to the router. So it is hard to see how that could be the problem.

When these events happen, have you tried using other devices? Something wifi for example? That would confirm that the plug is the problem rather than something more general.

Forgive me if the answers to these questions are buried in your text. Like I said, it is hard to follow.

Oh, and what's the modem involved here? The R6300v2 is a router so it has to get its Internet from something else.

You have my sympathies on grappling with support. I hope they didn't extract money from you.

Message 2 of 3
Carl66
Aspirant

Ive got the same problem. My router is a spectrum cable company. The weird thing is when I first connected the nethear 1000 devices they worked for 3 days. Now on my ps3 and kodi box it is impossible. The sites come up but they will not play movies
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7