× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PWL1010 Connection but no internet

wbeech
Aspirant

PWL1010 Connection but no internet

Just got this product this week:

Two questions:

1. No lights appear on the base unit(the one that is wired to the router) but it seems to connect(?).

2. When I move the remote wireless unit to my detached garage it appears to connect but there is no internet connection.  Using my iPhone, it shows the WiFi icon with an exclamation mark in the middle.  All electrical circuits are through a single breaker box in the house.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bill

Message 1 of 6

@wbeech wrote:

Just got this product this week:

Two questions:

1. No lights appear on the base unit(the one that is wired to the router) but it seems to connect(?).

You should see several lit LEDs.

What tells you that it "seems to connect"?

What do the LEDs look like on the "remote" plug?

@wbeech wrote:

2. When I move the remote wireless unit to my detached garage it appears to connect but there is no internet connection. 

Have you tested the plug and confirmed that they work when the AP plug is near to the "source" plug? Do that to confirm that the plugs are properly set up and then move the plug to the preferred location.

What tells you that "there is no internet connection"? You see some sort of error message on the wifi clients you are trying to connect?

Message 2 of 6
wbeech
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply:

Three LEDs are lit on the remote plug.  The network light is out, I presume because there is no ethernet cable pluged in.

When I have the remote unit in the house it connects, very slowly, I can get out onto the internet.

Not getting any error messages, I see the WiFi icon with an exclamation mark "!" in the middle.

Have reset both units several times, still no change.

Message 3 of 6
wbeech
Aspirant

Guru, When you say "plug" I assume you are referring to the 110v house outlet.  They all work and feed through a common breaker box.

Message 4 of 6

@wbeech wrote:

Thanks for the reply:

Three LEDs are lit on the remote plug.  The network light is out, I presume because there is no ethernet cable pluged in.

You presume correct. The LAN LED is off unless you plug something in.

@wbeech wrote:

When I have the remote unit in the house it connects, very slowly, I can get out onto the internet.

If you have a poor connection in the house, then moving the AP plug is not going to improve matters.

How fast is your Internet service?

Do the wifi clients that are slow on the Powerline AP run a lot faster on your router's wifi?

Have you tried using the Powerline network with wired devices? That would be a good first test of the network and the connection between the two plugs.

@wbeech wrote:

Not getting any error messages, I see the WiFi icon with an exclamation mark "!" in the middle.

I have no idea what wifi client you are using, so I can't even begin to guess what that is telling you.

Message 5 of 6
wbeech
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@wbeech wrote:

Thanks for the reply:

You presume correct. The LAN LED is off unless you plug something in.

@wbeech wrote:

If you have a poor connection in the house, then moving the AP plug is not going to improve matters.

How fast is your Internet service?

Do the wifi clients that are slow on the Powerline AP run a lot faster on your router's wifi?

Have you tried using the Powerline network with wired devices? That would be a good first test of the network and the connection between the two plugs.

@wbeech wrote:

I have no idea what wifi client you are using, so I can't even begin to guess what that is telling you.

Hmmm, I thought I replied but it is not showing up here. As a client I am using my iPhone 12.  

Speed is not an issues with the PWL unit when connected within the house.

I have quit trying to make this work, what I did was to move the remote PWL unit to the outlet inside the house but closest to the detached garage, signal is weak but it is working well enough to provide a connection.  Marking this closed as a lesson learned and moving on.

Thank you for all your help, really appreciate it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7