× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pick A Plug on Powerline 1200 is green, then red when connected

Dean_T
Aspirant

Pick A Plug on Powerline 1200 is green, then red when connected

When I connect my Powerline Adapter 1200 to the router and wall and whatnot, the "Pick A Plug" feature turns a steady green. However, when I connect my PC (Windows 10), it turns to red. I have used this product before without flaw while living in an apartment, but I just moved to a house. I usually use it through an outlet extender (has three outlets), and I know you are not supposed to do this, so I tested again just plugging straight into the wall. The results were the same; "Pick A Plug" was green, until I plugged the ethernet cable into my PC, and it turned red. Now the distance I am from my router has increased, but I do not think this is the problem, as the "Pick A Plug" shows green before plugging in my PC. While connected to the network through the powerline adapter, I ran the Windows "Network Troubleshooter," but it didn't return anything wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Pick A Plug on Powerline 1200 is green, then red when connected

Problem with powerline devices is that they're sensitive to interference. Things like cell phone chargers, surge protectors, arc fault circuits, gfci outlets, high draw appliances, old/bad wiring,  or even just electronics that are going bad can all create interference. 

Have you tried the powerline devices both in the same room on the same circuit? If they connect that router, then its probably something within the home that's injecting interference in the power system. 

Like I said, random things can do this and if you've recently moved, it could be something within the wiring causing the issue. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Problem with powerline devices is that they're sensitive to interference. Things like cell phone chargers, surge protectors, arc fault circuits, gfci outlets, high draw appliances, old/bad wiring,  or even just electronics that are going bad can all create interference. 

Have you tried the powerline devices both in the same room on the same circuit? If they connect that router, then its probably something within the home that's injecting interference in the power system. 

Like I said, random things can do this and if you've recently moved, it could be something within the wiring causing the issue. 

Message 2 of 7

@plemans wrote:

That's the first move.

But the symptoms you describe are odd.

I can't tell from your message if the network is actually working. Are there problems? Or are you just puzzled by the red light?

Message 3 of 7
Dean_T
Aspirant

Thank you for the advice @plemans, but when I woke up this morning, it began working for some reason. In case this is just luck and it goes down again, I will be sure to do as you said, and test them on the same circuit. Until then, here's hoping it stays working.

Message 4 of 7
Dean_T
Aspirant

@michaelkenward I thought they were odd too, especially after searching online for anyone else with the same problem. When I was experiencing problems the night before, I didn't check the network, so that may have been the problem. However, when I woke up this morning, the network was working fine for my family (although they are connected over Wi-Fi and ethernet), and after a bit more unplugging and plugging it just started working. So I hope it stays this way, and for now I will leave it as it is.

Message 5 of 7
jwock
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem.  Blinking red/green when i connect to workstation but solid green before doing so.   the download speed is terrible (10 Mbps down 20 Mbps up), and it's normally 500 down.  Connected to same electrical ckt in the house as router and have same problem.  Maybe faulty netgear product?

Message 6 of 7

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7