× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Pick a Plug LED losing connection

rags1
Aspirant

Pick a Plug LED losing connection

Just purchased a set of the powerline 2000 to improve 2nd floor internet. Followed directions for installation. The Power and Powerline LED come on solid green initially when plugging in. After 2-3 minutes the Powerling LED goes off and does not come back on. It does does turn red or amber, just goes from solid green to off. Verified that both electrical outlets are on the same leg. Also tried in different plugs in the house even in the same room. Always the same thing, Powerline LED comes on and stays on for 2-3 minutes then goes off. Tried doing the security reset as well but no result. Powerline LED stays off.

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 6

Does the Powerline network work as expected?

It may be a case of the thing going into hibernation when nothing is happening.

Sadly, Netgear stopped providing software to manage its powerline stuff some time ago. People have used ZyXel's Powerline utility to manage Netgear plugs.

The desktop genie for Windows can also show what is going on in your Powerline network.

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

You may have to dismiss an annoying pop-up that tries to push a mobile app down your throat.

Look for the Powerline icon on the Network Map.

Message 2 of 6
TooFar
Tutor

I just purchased a retail boxed pair of PLP2000 powerline units. 

I tried every power outlet in my home and they never indicate finding each other.

'Pick a Plug' comes on briefly on powering up then goes off. 

Message 3 of 6

@TooFar wrote:

I just purchased a retail boxed pair of PLP2000 powerline units. 

I tried every power outlet in my home and they never indicate finding each other.

'Pick a Plug' comes on briefly on powering up then goes off. 

See above. Same questions get the same answer.

Or explain what you have done.

Message 4 of 6
TooFar
Tutor

Self explanatory.
Followed instructions, including reset and resync of keys Tried on every single outlet always same result. Units 'pick a plug' led always comes on briefly then goes off and stays off. This seems to indicate the units cannot detect each other on any outlet of my premises *for whatever reason*.

Went through this with Netgear support - their response - return the units for refund.

I just thought I would ask here if anyone knew of a way to get them going.

Thank you for the non answer forcing me to repeat myself. The units are being returned today.
Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 5 of 6

@TooFar wrote:

Thank you for the non answer forcing me to repeat myself. The units are being returned today.

The only thing you repeated was the question from @rags1.

You told us nothing about what you had tried and what happened.

Your conversation with support has nothing to do with this place.

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7