× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Poor or no connection with PL1010v2

NewYorker326
Initiate

Poor or no connection with PL1010v2

New install. Four PL1010v2 devices. It seems the only way I can make it work is to plug in the devices on the same circuit. That does me absolutely no good. My house wiring is pretty much up to code, standard 120 vac 100 amp with 3rd wire ground.

Does anyone have any way to improve signal transmission through the service box? If not, the Powerline adapters will have to go back.

Model: PL1010|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Poor or no connection with PL1010v2

They might have to go back and a different method used. 

If they connect on the same circuit is means they're working. 

The problem with powerline devices is they're sensitive to interference. Once you're on different circuits, that interference gets much worse. 

Things that can cause interference:

high draw appliances

old/bad/poorly done wiring

Poorly made electronics that inject interference

cheap/bad cell phone chargers

gfci outlets

arc fault breakers (found on newer homes)

surge protectors

electronics that are going bad. 

Its difficult to troubleshoot powerline because once you're on seperate circuits, it can literally be anything in your home. I had a microwave going bad once that anytime it ran it shut down my powerline network. I just happened to notice it once after several months of headaches fighting it dying. Sometimes you can try going around and  unplugging everything you can to see if it helps. 

or you can try something like moca adapters (ethernet over coax) which tends to have higher speeds and less interference. 

or even a mesh wireless solution if your house is condusive to it. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

They might have to go back and a different method used. 

If they connect on the same circuit is means they're working. 

The problem with powerline devices is they're sensitive to interference. Once you're on different circuits, that interference gets much worse. 

Things that can cause interference:

high draw appliances

old/bad/poorly done wiring

Poorly made electronics that inject interference

cheap/bad cell phone chargers

gfci outlets

arc fault breakers (found on newer homes)

surge protectors

electronics that are going bad. 

Its difficult to troubleshoot powerline because once you're on seperate circuits, it can literally be anything in your home. I had a microwave going bad once that anytime it ran it shut down my powerline network. I just happened to notice it once after several months of headaches fighting it dying. Sometimes you can try going around and  unplugging everything you can to see if it helps. 

or you can try something like moca adapters (ethernet over coax) which tends to have higher speeds and less interference. 

or even a mesh wireless solution if your house is condusive to it. 

Message 2 of 4
NewYorker326
Initiate

Thanks. I had come to that conclusion, too. They're boxed up to return to Amazon when the weather breaks.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Hopefully the solution you try next works better!

Powerline devices aren't for everyone home because of the interference issues

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7