× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Power line

Zanzibar
Aspirant

Power line

II have already istalled the Power line Adaptor to my router and the relevant Access Point WiFI Power Line Netger to a eletrical wiring netwprk.  Now i  need to install one more adapter to increase WI FI coverage in another room of my big house .Unfortunately it is impossible to find and buy a single Access Point WI FI Power line plug !   What should I do ? Should I buy another Net Gear PLW -100 PES ( i.e. two devices  ) and install  only the new additional Acces Point Wi FI Power line ( with two antennas ) : does it work ? Thanks   

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Power line

You could go that route or you can buy a compatible adapter. The powerline devices use a specific standard and should all work together within that standard. So the plw1000 is homeplug av2 compliant. so any device compatible should work fine. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You could go that route or you can buy a compatible adapter. The powerline devices use a specific standard and should all work together within that standard. So the plw1000 is homeplug av2 compliant. so any device compatible should work fine. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug

Message 2 of 6

@plemans wrote:

You could go that route or you can buy a compatible adapter.

That's what I did when I wanted to add a new device to my Netgear powerlines.

Most of the brands sell only bundles, not singletons allowed.

I ended up with a Devolo twin LAN plug. Works just fine. Not wifi though.

Remember, you need just one plug connected to the router.

Message 3 of 6
Zanzibar
Aspirant

Thanks !  So : leaving the WIFi system as it s now ( main adapter NetGear 1000 AV WIFI plugged to Fastgate Router from one side and to the eletrical sock on  the other side PLUS the " secondary " device - the one with two antennas - plugged  into the electrical sock in the second room  for  Wi FI extension,)  I will buy another set ( two devices ) of the same model  NetGear 1000 WiFI BUT  will plug only the device  with the two antennas to the electrical sock in the third  room where I want  Wi Fi further extension. 

I  simply will neglet the new main adapter .    

Message 4 of 6

@Zanzibar wrote:

I will buy another set ( two devices ) of the same model  NetGear 1000 WiFI BUT  will plug only the device  with the two antennas to the electrical sock in the third  room where I want  Wi Fi further extension. 

I  simply will neglet the new main adapter .    

Makes sense. That's what I'd do in your circumstances. It might turn out to be cheaper because standalone wifi devices seem to come in at a hefty markup.

But I bet it won't be long before you find a use for the spare plug.

You could even use it as the feed for another router in AP mode or wifi extender to get wifi out to somewhere that could use it.

An extra Ethernet plug could also feed a smart TV or something else.

Remember, when adding new plugs to an existing network, you need to follow this advice:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

Message 5 of 6
Zanzibar
Aspirant

Absolutely excellent !  And comprehensive.   Thanks  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation