× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PowerLine 1200 + Ethernet Switch

ZurekNC
Aspirant

PowerLine 1200 + Ethernet Switch

I've installed 4 Powerline adapters per the manufacturers instructions. The system works great when I have the computer or TV connected directly to the PL1200. What I want to do is install an ethernet switch in one of the rooms to connect multiple computers. When I do this, the system works well for a short time (30-60 minutes) and then my network shuts down. No devices can connect, hardwired ethernet, wireless or PL1200 connections.

I've done the troubleshooting and each device works fine with no network shutdown if I connect directly to the PL1200. It's only when I put a switch in line that the system stops. I've tried both Netgear and D-Link switches.

If it matters, we're on CenturyLink ethernet.

Regards

Message 1 of 19
clithes
Prodigy

Are you saying entire connectivity is gone?  You cannot even connect wirelessly directly with your modem/router?

Message 2 of 19
ZurekNC
Aspirant

Yes, all connectivity, wired & wireless. Everything works fine for some amount of time (not sure how long) the no connectivity. Removing the switch and rebooting the router and things return to normal. Repeated several times to be sure.

Message 3 of 19
clithes
Prodigy

What router do you have,?

Message 4 of 19
ZurekNC
Aspirant

Technicolor C2000T modem provided by CenturyLink

Message 5 of 19

If you are using a Powerline plug to feed an ethernet switch, your first problem will be the throughput. If all the traffic has to go back to the router, there will be a severe speed limit.

Powerline is limited in the speed at which it can communicate data, when with AV2 plugs. Remember, plugs and switches have none of the DHCP capability of a modem or router. None of the scenarios I have seen for Powerline networks include switches.

Message 6 of 19
pat22
Aspirant

i have a switch coming from the one in my office, laptop, printer and cisco voip phone, no issues. try excahnging. i have 125 mbps service, 70 at pla in office, about 66 after the switch.

Message 7 of 19
simonali
Aspirant

I'm having similar issues. I had a Netgear XAVB1004 feeding my TV, blu ray player, NowTV box and Sonos in a different room to where the router is located and it all worked just fine. Decided to upgrade because I wanted to feed another computer and TV upstairs an internet supply and the XB101 refused to speak to any AV200 adapters other than the 4 way one that came with it. I went and bought 2 packs of PL1200 adapters and a 5 port switch so that the 4 devices previously mentioned all had an internet feed, but half an hour into watching a streamed programme on any of them and it just stops. I've already wasted money buying the AV200 adapters for upstairs that wouldn't work and now I've spent another £120 on a load more kit that doesn't work properly.

Message 8 of 19
ZurekNC
Aspirant

Nice to know I'm not alone. My current way of addressing it is to use 2 PL1200's, one for a PC with poor WiFi capability), a second for a TiVo Mini (must be hardwired). The 3rd unit I wanted to hook to the switch is a work PC that I bring home on weekends. That one runs fine on WiFi. In my case, it's problem addressed, not problem solved.

Message 9 of 19
simonali
Aspirant

I think my old 4 outlet 'switch' from the XAVB1004 kit did some sort of port prioritising so that devices actually using the internet got a better feed, but the new switch is just trying to feed all the devices equally whether they're in use or not? I might try the old unit with the PL1200 still connected to the router and see if they'l speak to one another. If they don't it's all going back to the store!

Message 10 of 19

@simonali wrote:

....the XB101 refused to speak to any AV200 adapters other than the 4 way one that came with it.

When you add Powerline plugs, whatever their make and speed, to an existing network, you have to introduce them to one another.

Out of the box they are monogamous and will only talk to each other. If you want them to get into group networking, then you have to add them to the network, one at a time.

The best way to do this is to follow these instructions:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

What you have to do is to introduce each new plug to the plug that talks to the router. Do this in plugs close to one another and then move the new "client" plugs to where you want them to be.

I would point you at the manual for your hardware, but the XB101 does not seem to exist in the Netgear system. Perhaps you mean HDXB101.

Message 11 of 19
simonali
Aspirant

I think the XB101 was included in that HDXB101 kit you refer to. That was a kit comprising two XB101s. I got that number from this review of the kit I have, so it may be incorrect?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/netgear-xavb1004-home-theater-internet-connection-kit-review

I don't recall the model of the other adaptors I have and I'm not at home to check, but I could get them to talk briefly with all 3 LEDs lit green, but then one LED would go out on the upstairs PLAs (the right hand one, I think?) and I'd have to reset everything. After a few times of doing this I gave up, stuck them in the drawer and used wifi instead. If I wish to stick with the PL1200s what is the best way to split the signal 4 ways at my TV? I'm guessing the ethernet switch wasn't the best method, but that was all they had in the shop I went to...

Message 12 of 19
cliveu
Tutor

I have a similar issue. I had a pair of Netgear AV200 Powerline devices installed for 5 years.
I just tried to introduce a pair of new TP-Link AV1200 units to my network.
Each pair worked fine when the other pair were "off". When both on together they seemed to interfere and nothing worked at all
It's a shame because the 4 port Netgear Powerline switch was a really neat, discrete product.
Message 13 of 19
cliveu
Tutor

Sumonali, the 4 port switch at your TV end is fine. It should work well. The most likely problem is interference on your mains. Perhaps a dodgy charger or power supply unit.
Message 14 of 19
simonali
Aspirant

Oops, that won't be easy to track down, there are dozens of power adapters and chargers dotted all around the house! Any idea why the AV200 stuff wasn't affected in the same way?

Message 15 of 19
cliveu
Tutor

If the AV200 kit still works then I am misleading you. Both systems are affected by interference.
Message 16 of 19
cliveu
Tutor

ZurekNC, it doesn't make sense that everything shuts down unless there is a router problem or else your ISP has capped your usage.
Message 17 of 19
ZurekNC
Aspirant

Any issue like this doesn't make sense until you figure out the source of the problem, then it makes sense. My ISP has no input. The service they provide is functional and they're not responsible for extra hardware that may impact system performance.

I've repeated this scenario several times with a couple of different switches. The symptoms have been the same whether I'm home alone testing it (minimal usage) or my wife and daughter are home (higher usage). Others seem to show similar problems. It's addressed for now, but not the way I want. I'll be switching ISP's in the coming months (Gigabit fiber coming). That will be my only chance to take the modem/bandwidth cap out of the equation.

Message 18 of 19

@simonali wrote:
If I wish to stick with the PL1200s what is the best way to split the signal 4 ways at my TV? I'm guessing the ethernet switch wasn't the best method, but that was all they had in the shop I went to...

I haven't tried splitting the LAN at a powerplug. I have it feed straight into the TV.

I would normally suggest wireed connections, but if you have a wifi powerplug, and your devices also do wifi, then that might be an option.

The problem with having a lot of devices on one powerplug is that you could run up against the speed limit.

Older plugs maxed out at 100Mbps for their LAN ports. They also had limited communication speeds over the mains itself. (Quoted speeds are more theoretical than actual.) So trying to feed four devices with a slow LAN plug and slow mains link could push things to the edge.

Likewise ethernet switches come in various speeds. I have only ever used these to connect things to a router/modem.

The same argument applies all the way back to the router/modem. Any network will be limited to the speed of the slowest link. We are now reaching the stage where Internet speeds can be on a par with the speed of older network kit.

And remember that the connection speed is not the same thing as the speed that the traffic flows. That's especially true of wifi links.

When it comes to switching things at the TV, how many devices are on the Internet simultaneously? If these are connected multimedia boxes, then maybe you could join them up with something like an HDMI link. I don't know the layout at your end so that may be irrelevant.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7