× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PowerLine AV500 Compatibility with New Adapters

KAD_UK
Aspirant

PowerLine AV500 Compatibility with New Adapters

Hello,

I currently have a few of the Powerline AV500 adaptors in my house.  This product is now End of Life.

I want to expand my network and add a wireless adaptor which runs from the Powerline connection, for example the PowerLine PLW1000 (http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/PLW1000.aspx).

My question is, would this new kit be compatible with the old plugs?  If I add the wireless adaptor to a plug socket, will it see the existing PoweLine network and connect?

Thanks, K.

Model: XAVB5001|POWERLINE AV 500 ADAPTER KIT|EOL
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: PowerLine AV500 Compatibility with New Adapters

@KAD_UK wrote:
My question is, would this new kit be compatible with the old plugs?  If I add the wireless adaptor to a plug socket, will it see the existing PoweLine network and connect?

Yes, they will be compatible.

To get the new plugs to talk to the old ones, read this:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

The manuals also tell you what to do.

Be warned that by mixing 500 and 1200 plugs you are limiting the speed of the network to the speed of the slowest plugs. You probably won't notice much difference. But the LAN on the 1200 runs at 1000 Mbps while the others do 100 Mbps.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies

@KAD_UK wrote:

Yes, they will be compatible.

To get the new plugs to talk to the old ones, read this:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

The manuals also tell you what to do.

Be warned that by mixing 500 and 1200 plugs you are limiting the speed of the network to the speed of the slowest plugs. You probably won't notice much difference. But the LAN on the 1200 runs at 1000 Mbps while the others do 100 Mbps.

Message 2 of 8
livefromboredom
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with my PLW adapter staying hot on my network.  It will work for a couple days, and then drop and not be able to find the network again.  I set it up on a static IP address and had some great speeds going through it, but came to find it cold again with no internet connectivity after a few hours.  With it stating backwards compatibility, I'm still using the XAV as my point of entry instead of the PLW receiver...Should I flip these around?  

Model: PLW1010|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter,XAV5401|Powerline 500 Passthrough Home Adapter
Message 3 of 8

@livefromboredom wrote:

I'm having the same issue with my PLW adapter staying hot on my network.

I can't see that this issue has anything to do with the one in the original question. But that's because I don't understand what you have on your powerline network.

@livefromboredom wrote:

I'm still using the XAV as my point of entry instead of the PLW receiver...Should I flip these around?  

What do you mean by "entry point", the plug connected to the router?

And what are the modem numbers involved? Netgear makes a handful of models with the XAV and PLW labels.

You can find the model number on the back of the plugs, conveniently positioned where you cannot see them when the thing is plugged in.

Message 4 of 8
livefromboredom
Aspirant

Hey Michael,

Thanks for replying. 

I ended up restoring the factory settings on my connectors and establishing the secured network again and all is well.  

Message 5 of 8

That's good news. Glad it worked out.

Message 6 of 8
KAD_UK
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply - sorry for my slow response and acceptance of the answer.

I managed to get the new PowerLine adaptor and as you said it worked perfectly in line with the old ones.

I have updated the plug connected to the router to be the new one (supplied in the pair) and I placed the Wireless Hotspot device where it was required.  They work perfectly together (as expected).  I also reset the existing 500MB adaptors and they worked on the new network as you said.  

Thanks again for your quick and helpful advice.

Message 7 of 8

Thanks you for confirming that it works. My experience is with a raft of different plugs, but not exactly the same models as yours. So it is nice to know that Netgear hasn't broken things with newer plugs.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7