× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PowerLine network topology

JRV1
Aspirant

PowerLine network topology

3 story house with wi-fi equipped cable modem on one end of 1st floor. 

We need Wi-Fi at the opposite end of the house on 2nd & 3rd floor.

We currently have a 5 or 6 year old powerline network adapter at the cable modem & 2nd floor, with a wireless access point connected to the remote powerline network adapter.

Signal is still weak above it on the 3rd floor, and not enough bandwidth even on the 2nd floor, although the signal's strong there. But this is older equipment and a lot has changed in PL Ethernet and Wi-Fi since then. I think the old one was 10Mbps...and probably 2Mbps in the real world.

So I'm thinking of starting over with a PL1000 Wi-Fi on the 2nd floor, and another on the 3rd floor.

Does 1 PL1000 connected to the cable modem provide PowerLine Ethernet for both remote PL1000WF's (assuming all are on the same power leg)? Or do I need 2 PL1000's connected to the cable modem?

TIA

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: PowerLine network topology

Not unless you go through a reseller who's seperated them out. But powerline devices are compatible with a spec. So long as other powerline devices use that same specification, they'll work together. And other companies sell them seperate. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You only need 1 plugged into the modem/router. the rest will connect back to it. 

Message 2 of 4
JRV1
Aspirant

Cool, thanks! They appear to be sold in sets though. Are they available separately?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Not unless you go through a reseller who's seperated them out. But powerline devices are compatible with a spec. So long as other powerline devices use that same specification, they'll work together. And other companies sell them seperate. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7