× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline 1000 - Additional units slow network speed

amatog
Aspirant

Powerline 1000 - Additional units slow network speed

I have two PL-1000 units, one attached to my modem/router, the other in the home office hooked in to a docking station connected to a laptop. I get full speed (100Mbps), over the powerlines, no complaints. I bought another PL-1000 kit & hooked one up to the TV where I only get around 6Mbps using that device (hooking one of the original devices up to the TV also gets full speed). Putting the new adaptors in place of my original devices (modem/home office), the speed drops there as well. Replacing them with the original devices & I am back to full speed. Mixing old & new also slows the speed dramatically. I have factory reset each device & do not have encryption enabled.

I took the new kit back to JB where they replaced it with a another kit. Same result. No permutation of old/new devices gives me anything like the speed I get with the original devices. AT this stage I will take the replacement kit back to JB for a refund. Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: Powerline 1000 - Additional units slow network speed

@amatog wrote:

After reset the Pick a Plug LED remains red with a low speed when connected anywhere in the network.

Smells like a dud.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

@amatog wrote:

Mixing old & new also slows the speed dramatically. I have factory reset each device & do not have encryption enabled.

I have managed to get different "batches" to work happily together. Different models even (1000 and 1100). I have also mixed Netgear plugs with a different brand without problems.

Have you been thought the process of resetting the new plugs again and adding them to your existing setup? Do it with the new plugs sitting as near as possible to the "host" plug connected to the router. If you can get that to work OK you can then move the plugs to the new locations. They will "remember" the connection to the host.

If they then "go bad" it may be down to some freaky local problem on your mains circuit.

I wonder if the docking station is involved in any way. I'm not familiar with them. I use simple switches on my network. Things that try to "manage" the network could get in the way. Netgear doesn't even like the idea of using mains extension blocks. I use them all the time, but I avoid those with surge protection and other "safety" measures.

Message 2 of 4
amatog
Aspirant

Thanks Michael,

I tried your suggestion with both new plugs with the same result. After reset the Pick a Plug LED remains red with a low speed when connected anywhere in the network. Both the original plugs can be moved around the apartment with the same result (green Pick a Plug LED & full speed). I think I will cut my losses & return the new plugs.

Message 3 of 4

@amatog wrote:

After reset the Pick a Plug LED remains red with a low speed when connected anywhere in the network.

Smells like a dud.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7