× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline 1000, can I connect anything to make wifi better

Markneedshelp
Aspirant

Powerline 1000, can I connect anything to make wifi better

Hi,

I have purchased a Netgear powerline 1000 to get a wired connection to the upstairs of the house, as the wifi doesn't reach too good. Whilst that works great for one computer, I wondered if there is a devise I can connect to the Powerline upstairs to effective extend the wifi, so more than one user can benefit.

Thanks for any help

Mark

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Powerline 1000, can I connect anything to make wifi better

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Or you can simply add a router (in access point mode) or an extender in access point mode to the powerline device.
Many routers/extenders have multiple ethernet ports and support wifi. So you'd be able to hardwire in or use it wireless.
Message 3 of 5
Markneedshelp
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the reply which is really helpful, much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Message 4 of 5

@plemans wrote:
Or you can simply add a router (in access point mode) or an extender in access point mode to the powerline device.
Many routers/extenders have multiple ethernet ports and support wifi. So you'd be able to hardwire in or use it wireless.

I'd go down that road.

The powerline plug's built-in wifi won't be the most powerful around. And you can't buy a single plug, so you end up buying a bundle with two plugs. Unless you need the extra wired plug, you can end up shelling out as much as you'd pay for a single wifi extender that you can use as an access point.

I have an Orbi router at the end of a Powerline network. Way better than any Powerline AP and with a raft of LAN ports that I can use for other things.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7