× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Powerline 1000 with Powerline 1000 WiFi

motty69
Follower

Powerline 1000 with Powerline 1000 WiFi

I have bought the Powerline 1000 (2 devices) and that is working fine to extend my wired signal to another room.

3 questions:

1) I want to extend to other rooms, if I buy 1 more box (2 devices), can I use those for 2 more rooms, so have 1 for the router and 3 for the other rooms - ie are they all compatible?

2) I also would like to extend the WiFi as the signal is poor at the top of the house - if I buy the Powerline 1000 wifi box (2 devices) will that work in the same way, so the WiFi devices will be compaitble with the one alrady by the router, and one can be used in another room? 

3) will the WiFi use the same SSID as the current, so extend it on the same network, it will it create a new SSID?

thanks

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 2

Re: Powerline 1000 with Powerline 1000 WiFi

@motty69 wrote:

1) I want to extend to other rooms, if I buy 1 more box (2 devices), can I use those for 2 more rooms, so have 1 for the router and 3 for the other rooms - ie are they all compatible?

Yes. Just add more plugs.

Remember, when adding new plugs to an existing network, you need to follow this advice:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

You need just one plug connected to the router.

@motty69 wrote:

2) I also would like to extend the WiFi as the signal is poor at the top of the house - if I buy the Powerline 1000 wifi box (2 devices) will that work in the same way, so the WiFi devices will be compaitble with the one alrady by the router, and one can be used in another room? 

Yes. Buy a powerplug bundle with a wifi access point thrown in.

@motty69 wrote:

3) will the WiFi use the same SSID as the current, so extend it on the same network, it will it create a new SSID?

Up to you. You can give the plugs whatever SSID you like. Generally people recommend using different SSIDs.

Does that matter? Most wifi clients can automatically switch between SSIDs as you move around.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7